History of Punk : PBS documentary

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not my favorite genre, and the Sex Pistols seminal album "Never Mind the Bollocks......." I consider one of if not the most overrated albums ever released.

Having said that I do like The Clash, both their early days and especially London Calling.

Bucky tried getting me into the proto-punks bands of New York but I am just not a big fan of that kind of music.

Nice find Phil, if I have time I'll try to watch all the vids.

mrJim

Reaction score
^^ Bucky is the master LG, I wondered If I could sway into the dark side. I am likely not as good as Buck so I now know my chances are slim.

I can say that it does seems like there is a connection with old Garage Rock. For years I have kept around all kinds of early early garage stuff. the bigger names Kingsmen, Standells but also early Davie Jones (Bowie) and really obscure stuff that for what ever reason I just enjoy.

Jim

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I can say that it does seems like there is a connection with old Garage Rock. For years I have kept around all kinds of early early garage stuff. the bigger names Kingsmen, Standells but also early Davie Jones (Bowie) and really obscure stuff that for what ever reason I just enjoy.

Jim

This is precisely the reason I had an attraction to the music to start with. The three chord mantra is supreme. I think some of the cover songs that the punk bands did are among my favorite in the genre. I have had a fascination with the the Nugget's era albums and the hundreds of bands that had little more than regional exposure in their release days. Some of the punk bands showed a lot of historical verve when they redid many of these songs, at times introducing me to songs I had never heard before.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^ Bucky is the master LG, I wondered If I could sway into the dark side. I am likely not as good as Buck so I now know my chances are slim.

Jim

Haven't seen Bucky for ages, hope he's OK when he's not feeling well he disappears for long periods.

I respect your opinion a lot Jim, but I just find most punk wears me out very quickly, and as far as garage rock goes I never really investigated it very thoroughly. In fact until posting in music forums I didn't even know it was a genre in the rock & roll pantheon...:peek

:gig

mrJim

Reaction score
^^much appreciated LG and that is returned! Haven't heard from Buck in a while, I have a package for him, I think I'll send it out and see If everything is ok.

Phil B, I have noticed some nice garage rock in your posts. :grinthumb You are right some the Punk bands do some real nice covers. you can tell a lot of about them by who they cover. You will also find they sometimes do it for different reasons too..... like The Lords Of the New Church cover of Madona's Like a Virgin.:oyea:

good occasional entertainment value, but prefer many others. Like

Iggy Pop - Louie Louie
Forgotten Rebels - Pictures of Matchstick Men (Status Quo)
Johnny Thunders - Daddy Rollin Stone (Otis Blackwell)
Johnny Thunders - Pills ( Bo Diddley)
Eve of Destruction
- Forgotten Rebels (plugged version)
- Johnny Thunders (acoustic version)

I could go on and on with that list.......

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online