History of Punk : PBS documentary

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
This is an interesting introduction to punk and the roots of the musical movement. The videos are from VHS (which gives it a punk aesthetic IMO) in six parts.

Parts One through Three

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Nice Find Phil!

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. I was kind of bummed out they left the west coast scene out of the picture. Still, it is a nice primer for those who are seeking information about the scene. Plus it has interviews with the Ramones, Patty Smith, et al.

mrJim

Reaction score
Yeah nothing al all on the hardcore stuff. Even on the NY stuff there wasn't any real mention of any of the heavily alternative slanted stuff.

Very Excellent though I watched all 6

that footage of Sid Vicious swinging away with that bass into the crowd was so stupid it was funny

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Agreed MrJim. The doc came out in 1995, so I am not sure how much of the music was widely known then. Have you seen a documentary called American Hardcore? It is quite compelling, especially covering the movement in America from 1980-1986.

American Hardcore ImDb LINK

Last edited:

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
that footage of Sid Vicious swinging away with that bass into the crowd was so stupid it was funny

Yeah, there are many horror stories about the Sex Pistols waltz through Texas. I'm surprised they survived the visit. :oyea:

mrJim

Reaction score
Agreed MrJim. The doc came out in 1995, so I am not sure how much of the music was widely known then. Have you seen a documentary called American Hardcore? It is quite compelling, especially covering the movement in America from 1980-1986.

American Hardcore ImDb LINK
I've seen the trailers from that one. I respect some of those guys, like Henry Rollins, but I was never and will never be into that scene. About as close as I come is the Meatmen.

too much hate for me. I was never in the "everything sucks cause I have problems" mindset and that's just how it came off to me even when I was in my teens growing up at that time.

Rollins explained it once as "you just want to break shit" and "you hate everyone". I was 17 years old and even then it just occurred to me that.. that was a waste of energy that I could be using to change my situation not digging the hole deeper

Jim

Last edited:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I look back at the punk 'explosion' with some amusement. I bought into it in a big way at the time. But, in reality, it was a period of around three years in the UK ('76-'79). During that period bands like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Pink Floyd, and The Stones had huge hit albums. So you have to ask the question 'Was anything actually changing?' I would accept that Metal changed. The fast and furious tempo was picked up. But the 'Old Guard' if you like, proved they were more than equal to the task in front of them.

mrJim

Reaction score
^^I hear you, but that time period really just equates to when it was most fashionable or sorta marketable. It lived before that time. then after that period the music and the seen really lived through the 80's in the Alternative music culture and then experienced another fashionable period around the early 90's. in the US

It's kinda unfortunate there is a general association of the Genre with the Sex Pistols or later with pictures from the Hardcore scene. it was actually alive and well in NY before the Sex Pistols were even a thought.

Jim

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online