Guitar Solo

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Have you seen Baby Snakes?

Some outstanding guitar work on that one.

If it's on Joe garage I've heard it.. I have all three or you know.. I II and III album sets.. Pardon me if the song title dosn't jump out at me.. I have a bunch of Zappa.. Love all his stuff except for the CD Stinkdirt..

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on the band I listen to or genre, if it is hard rock I like a solo to really just be another section that helps deliver the message of the song, not necessarily be the centre point of the song. For a thrash band the solo needs to mostly be shredding, again depends on the tempo, if its a more melodic then obviously the solo needs to be more a groove pace.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Oh and I have to add that Rival Sons guitarist Scott Holiday pulled off a un complicated but satisfying solo in Pressure and Time Looks like he's using a vintage Gibson Thunderbird.... Retro instruments.. Simple Kit and I havn't seen many Bass players using the old style String Guard..

I really like that. I've heard of them, but this is the first time I've heard them.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
Like most other posters, I enjoy all types of solos from slower bluesy numbers to blistering metal. Why I like/dislike them, who knows. I enjoy Anthrax a ton but never liked Dan Spitz's solos..they just sounded wrong to me...very weird to not like the guitarist of a band you enjoy?

For overall quality of solos I place EVH and Alex Lifeson at the top of my list. Eddie sounded great on everythig he did, even on crappy songs. His solos fit the song perfectly and were FUN to listen to, and sounded like they would be FUN to play. Music should be enjoyable, and in his heyday Eddie made everyone want to pick up a guitar and play Eruption.

Alex, well he plays for my favorite band so that counts for something, but I have always loved his playing. While not the fastest player, his solos are always very unique and interesting without taking over the song. Years ago I never liked "A Passage to Bangkok - Exit...stage left version)" but thought the solo was awesome. After a few dozen more listens I got into the song and it is one of my many favorites. Still by far my favorite solo, it has everything.

Srry about the long winded post..must be the slush kicking in :D

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I have probably posted this track once or twice already :D but Jimmy digs deep here. A very powerful song that requires something a bit special and the riff master delivers. Terry Manning (engineer on Zep III) said Jimmy leant back against the amps, cigerette hanging from his mouth and proceeded to play one of the greatest guitar solos ever. I'll second that. :cheers2

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Some great guitar work so far, more more more

I've always liked this solo by Thin Lizzy. It is the second one I like especially, start from around the 3:42 mark. It always makes me feel melancholic. I wish it was longer though.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I get a big kick out of Billy Gibbons solo's.. Really funky but complicated I'm sure to play.. He knows his way up and down a guitar neck.
This video @3:22 Is one of his coolest solo's.. They dubbed over him doing a some what war with himself. Playing both guitars.. But it fades off with him still jamming!!:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.