Guitar Solo

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
So, what are you looking for in a guitar solo?

I'm a sucker for a good guitar solo. I don't want a solo which has nothing to do with the melodie of the song. Basicly no Malmsteen please.

The solo of this song has everything, going with the melodie of the song and showing the quality of the player.

So post your favourite solo and please give the reason why!!

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Here's what I'm looking for. It's simply a work of art. No one can get a sound from a guitar like Frank could. At the four minute mark is where he really shows it off.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Frank has an unique approach to playing the guitar and it shows on that song, RS.

Magical!!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Best case scenario I want a guitar solo that basically functions as the orgasm of the song. There's all this tension building up and then it just lets loose. Sometimes it actually helps when there isn't a lot of guitar in the rest of the song. Stairway to Heaven is probably the most classic example but I assume you all know what that sounds like already! Here are some other examples:

Roger Waters' led Pink Floyd was full of them and they're also not uncommon in pop music.

Another of my favorite guitar solo styles are ones that are melodic and ultra-simple. To me it's a very satisfying type of solo. Sometimes just following the melody of the verse, like Smells Like Teen Spirit. Other examples:

Nirvana was of course full of them. You even find them in Johnny Cash songs sometimes!

Now, when it comes to the more elaborate solos... I am harder to please. It has to be really up my alley to dig it. But I can be turned around to the most juiciest of solos, sometimes....

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
The solo by Larry Carlton on Kid Charlemen was voted number 80 of the best 100 guitar solos in rock history. I would have ranked it higher, but that's just me. Give it a listen and you'll understand why. Jazz fusion to perfection.

The song features a famous and notoriously difficult jazz-inflected electric guitar solo by guitarist Larry Carlton, notable for a single finger-tapped hammer-on near the end. (Fingertapping was not widely known in rock till two years later with the release of Van Halen's first album

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Defiantly.

Here's another amazing one from Frank.

This album is loaded with awesome shreds from Zappa!!

Here's what I'm looking for. It's simply a work of art. No one can get a sound from a guitar like Frank could. At the four minute mark is where he really shows it off.

Again.. What I like most about Zappa's quirky guitar solo's.. Even his son..Dweezle said.. I can't even play like that..

Here's some older Zappa solo's that are famous and well played in my book..

@ 1:55 he kicks in to some sweet guitar stuff..

Try playing this any time..@ 2:33

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Oh and I have to add that Rival Sons guitarist Scott Holiday pulled off a un complicated but satisfying solo in Pressure and Time Looks like he's using a vintage Gibson Thunderbird.... Retro instruments.. Simple Kit and I havn't seen many Bass players using the old style String Guard..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online