Grateful Dead or Eagles?

Grateful Dead or Eagles?

• Total voters

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Not the biggest fan of either overall though I don't really dislike either band.

I love the albums Desperato & Hotel California .....The Eagles.

E-Z

Reaction score
Sorry guys I messed that last post I was trying to post that picture of Ritchie Blackmore wearing that T-shirt proclaiming-

IF THE GRATEFUL DEAD CAN MAKE IT?.

ANYONE CAN.

E-Z

Reaction score
I love Blackmore's music both in Purple and Blackmore's Nightmare.
However, on an exclusively musical tone, I wonder if Ritchie could ever jam like Jerry ?! :)
By the way thanks Vader for posting the picture of Ritchie Blackmore.

Ritchie could improvise on stage as he usually did so back in the 1970s on stage with Deep Purple but what I've read about Ritchie down the years he wasn't a guy to jam with other musicians on stage (he didn't like it) also it is worth noting regarding Ritchie Blackmore that Deep Purple never did have a second guitar player on stage with them cos from a interview that I read many years ago given by Ritchie himself he always felt a second guitar player was a 'threat' and he (Ritchie) would have to "kill the other guy" by 'out playing him' on stage!!.

E-Z

Last edited:

nedkelly

Reaction score
By the way thanks Vader for posting the picture of Ritchie Blackmore.

Ritchie could improvise on stage as he usually did so back in the 1970s on stage with Deep Purple but what I've read about Ritchie down the years he wasn't a guy to jam with other musicians on stage (he didn't like it) also it is worth noting regarding Ritchie Blackmore that Deep Purple never did have a second guitar player on stage with them cos from a interview that I read many years ago given by Ritchie himself he always felt a second guitar player was a 'threat' and he (Ritchie) would have to "kill the other guy" by 'out playing him' on stage!!.

E-Z
Well, Jerry could jam better than Joe Walsh....and in any case, The Dead's music was not simple "improvisation"...It was more than jazz and more than rock put together.

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
The Dead had some great songs, Ruby Magnolia ad Casey Jones come to mind. Towards the end even the Dead pandered to the hit makers. Touch of Gray was a blatant effort to finally get a hit. A lot of there stuff just kind of wandered aimlessly around in a never ending jam. The Eagles played some great music. Walsh made them better. Eagles for me.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
The Dead had some great songs, Ruby Magnolia ad Casey Jones come to mind. Towards the end even the Dead pandered to the hit makers. Touch of Gray was a blatant effort to finally get a hit. A lot of there stuff just kind of wandered aimlessly around in a never ending jam. The Eagles played some great music. Walsh made them better. Eagles for me.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the MTV dead.
But actually they had been playing Touch of Gray live for years.
And even the deadhead culture got weird then.
There was an influx of new deadheads that mixed punk style and stuff.
It was peculiar and it was when all the trouble started that actually made it hard for them to play in a lot of places.
Real violence. Very "undead".

I acknowledge that Joe Walsh is a great guitarist and song writer (James Gang and solo) and he did great work with the eagles but in retrospect I'd say that the Eagles stuff that I like best is pre Joe. I love their cover of Tom Waits Ole 55. It might owe to most of their big hits coming later and being burned out but the Bernie time seemed a bit less formula to me.

Long as we're on the topic might as well post the Felder interview.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online