Genesis (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention my other favorite post Gabriel Genesis album, "Duke". In fact that was the first Genesis record I bought, I've backtracked since then and now have just about everything.

Seconds Out is also very good, a 'photograph' of the band at it's peak with Phil, Tony and Mike.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I don't think you can put a foot wrong with any early Genesis album 2LT they were a superb band and I even enjoyed some of the later work with Phil, Tony and Mike.

bbif

Reaction score
Seconds Out is also very good, a 'photograph' of the band at it's peak with Phil, Tony and Mike.

This.

(Steve played on the album too, but Tony mixed him out when he quit!)

If you're unsure about whether you'd like the pre-poppy Genesis, you can buy this pretty cheap, and it's one of the best live albums you'll ever hear.

Also, I'd also recommend the first album with Phil singing - A Trick of the Tail. But a lot of the songs are on Seconds Out anyway.

very strong album, some great songs

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This.

(Steve played on the album too, but Tony mixed him out when he quit!)

If you're unsure about whether you'd like the pre-poppy Genesis, you can buy this pretty cheap, and it's one of the best live albums you'll ever hear.

Also, I'd also recommend the first album with Phil singing - A Trick of the Tail. But a lot of the songs are on Seconds Out anyway.

very strong album, some great songs

I didn't realize Tony did that, why on earth would he take Steve's guitar off the live songs...?? Very petty to me, if Hackett played those songs live then they should have been left intact on the finished recording.

Still it is a really enjoyable album, quite surprised the first time I listened to it.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
^ Do you suppose the original masters are still around?

Maybe Tony has got over himself in the past few decades & they could release it as it was meant to be.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Tony or the record company might know, I don't think it's common practice to 're-record' over a mastertape no matter what changes you want to make to the mix before you press the album.

bbif

Reaction score
^ Do you suppose the original masters are still around?

Maybe Tony has got over himself in the past few decades & they could release it as it was meant to be.

The masters are still around for sure, they issued a remastered copy a few years ago.

Tony didn't remove Steve's work from the album, but he mixed it so far down you can barely hear most of it.

Petty? For sure.

At the time, I think Steve was already intimating that he wanted more input & more of a say, Tony always saw Genesis as his baby & didn't take kindly to the interference.

Sorry, my poor wording in my last post wasn't entirely accurate. You can still hear Steve in the parts where it would be ridiculous not to, but in general he's mixed way down below the other instruments.

A shame, he was (and still is) a damn fine guitarist

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
For anyone looking for an introduction to Genesis, I can recommend their Platinum Collection, a triple cd collection, starting with their newer material and going backward in time to their earlier stuff. For me it works because while I enjoy the Phil Collins stuff, the music just gets better as you listen to it. The classier Steve Hackett/Peter Gabriel era really shines through.:grinthumb

Regarding the mixing down of Steve Hacketts playing on the Seconds Out album, I never really noticed it before, but now that you mention it, it's glaringly obvious. Yeah, it was a petty and mean thing to do.:mad

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online