Genesis (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Genesis have been around since the late 60's and their career has spanned for almost 40 years. They have 14 brilliant albums, one slightly dissapointing one (Calling All Stations) and they are one of the most successful progressive rock bands of all time.

My personal favourite album, (if you haven't caught on to my username yet) is Nursery Cryme:

03nursery.jpg

Official Website

From Genesis to Revelation (1969)
Trespass (1970)
Nursery Cryme (1971)
Foxtrot (1972)
Selling England by the Pound (1973)
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
A Trick of the Tail (1976)
Wind & Wuthering (1976)
...And Then There Were Three... (1978)
Duke (1980)
Abacab (1981)
Genesis (1983)
Invisible Touch (1986)
We Can't Dance (1991)
Calling All Stations (1997)

They're mine and many other people's favourite band.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Genesis

I have about 8 of their albums, I stop at ABACAB, after that I felt they had become a Pop band more than a Progressive band, no denying Phil, Tony and Mike's successful run though and a tribute to the talent of the original band that they lasted that long.

My favorite album of their early catalog.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am a huge Genesis fan, both the early and later works, too.

Duke would be my favorite album. Duke was the beginning of the transition to the more pop sound but still held elements of the better progressive works. Misunderstanding was Phil Collins first hit he wrote.

cover_421372112008.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah Foxtrot is up there on my list as well MP...it is amazing if you listen to their early work and then the later version, almost two different bands.

I like Duke as well, I have the remastered CD and they did a Great job on it, sounds better than the vinyl album.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yup there's Magic!! DUKE is a fine recording! Something about Misunderstanding when it starts up! Chills everytime!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I think Collins really stepped up to the plate as a songwriter with "Misunderstanding". I like his work. It was sad to see them go away from the progressive side to the pop side, though, where there is alot of repetition in the music.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I have about 8 of their albums, I stop at ABACAB, after that I felt they had become a Pop band more than a Progressive band, no denying Phil, Tony and Mike's successful run though and a tribute to the talent of the original band that they lasted that long.

My favorite album of their early catalog.

It's a shame you left so soon, I feel they have a lot to offer after their progressive roots. Their self titled album is one of my favourites, and some songs on Invisible Touch are also great and We Can't Dance had it's moments too. So there's about 25 songs you need to listen to already :p

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You might be right Salmacis, but I just got a little tired of Phil more than anything else, they did some good songs later on no denying that, but to me Genesis was at their creative peak in the early years.

However, no other band I can think of survived the amount of personnel changes that Genesis did and not only survived but actually exceeded the original as far as commercial success is concerned.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online