That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Gary Moore

classicrockrevisited

Herman Rarebell ex-Scorpions Drummer:
I met Gary the last time last year here in Brighton at a Hotel called Hotel de Vine. We talked about music of course and we were both surprised that we lived in the same City Brighton. I always liked Gary's music. Still got the Blues. Gary forever.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Mark Kendall of Great White:
Gary Moore was such a tremendous feel player. I call it playing from the pores of your skin and he definitely had that. I wanted to share a quick story concerning Gary. In 1988 we were on tour with Whitesnake and I became pretty good friends with Vivian Campbell. We used to jam alot before shows and stuff. One night before the show I told him I really loved his live solo and could he show me what he was doing. He showed me the riff and said all I do is play this one riff but I play it all over the neck and it makes it sound like I am playing something different but I am not. Then he said and one more thing, "I stole the riff from Gary Moore." Gary will be sorely missed.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Gary Hoey:
I was a sad day loosing Gary Moore at age 58. I'm in shock. I never had the chance to meet or play with him, it was on my bucket list but I felt like I knew him through his music. My favorite songs are "Still Got The Blues" and “Empty Rooms." There's a live version of “Empty Rooms” on YouTube from 1987 that's the best live solo of all time and is the essence of what Gary Moore stood for, taste, feel, power and conviction. God rest his soul. We’ve lost a giant. 

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Neil Murray:
My memories of Gary will be of someone who was dedicated to playing the guitar as well as he possibly could and with total focus, energy and intense commitment. I don't think I ever heard him play a wrong note and he was able to effortlessly become Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Carlos Santana or Jimi Hendrix if he felt like it. He was a very funny, down-to-earth guy and for over 10 years we seemed to share identical, wide-ranging taste in music, more so than anyone else I've played with. I wish I'd had the opportunity to play blues with him but that came later in his career. I do remember that in the mid-70s he was very casual about how he looked after the priceless Peter Green Les Paul – then again, he could make just about any guitar sing and cry. His passing is a giant loss for music.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Charlie Huhn of Foghat:
I did several recording projects with Gary Moore and the guy was amazing. He could play anything, flawlessly. We would be in the studio recording and he would start goofing around with a country version of the song we were recording and, as if that wasn't funny enough, he would do a Japanese version. Unbelievable. The many nights we would spend at the hotel bar after recording at Morgan Studio NW London for the Dirty Fingers album would be filled with joking, poking and self-depricating humor which made one feel like we were accepted in the presence of this genius. The title for the album wasn't decided and having two Americans in the band, Tommy Aldridge on drums and myself, Gary, being Irish, jokingly suggested, “Let's call it Paddy and the Septics. No wait, The Four Skins!” What a hoot. He didn't drink much because his father did and he wanted to work on his career but what a jokester. A few years later we did a release and a tour of England including the Marquee Club in London and the Reading Festival. The first day of rehearsal, I was so jet lagged that after an hour of practice I laid down on a bench at rehearsal unknowingly fell fast asleep with all the noise going on. Then a tap on the foot woke me up and the guys were playing “The Star Spangled Banner” perfectly. A little embarrassing but hey, I'm in the midst of international superstars, Ian Pace on drums and Neil Murray on bass. Gary was always so positive, happy and generous and I will always remember all the great times we shared in the 80's. Rest In Peace, my friend. That was a great song, as well, from the Dirty Fingers album. I will sorely miss you, Gary.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Dave "Bucket" Colwell
I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Gary. I met him several times over the years & opened for him on a couple of tours when I was in SAMSON. Such a passionate, Powerful yet subtle player & a major influence on many a big name guitarist. My condolences to his family.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

TOBI. (UK 16 year old phenom just signed to Mctrax International.)
"When I first started playing guitar at 12 years old I would have never thought of singing as well but when I asked my parents for a new guitar they said you have to play and sing a whole song at an open mic night. I took on the challenge and they said I had to play Gary Moore’s “Still Got The Blues For You” with the solo, so I pushed myself to learn it and did it. Now I am a singer/songwriter with a really nice guitar. He is one of my biggest influences and without I might not be doing what I am doing today"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrevisited

Andy Fraser
I did many dates with Gary Moore when we were coming up together in England. He always stood out as an "A” division guitarist and the nicest guy.

guitar dude

Reaction score

Gary Moore is a great guitar player. He is the meaning of burning up the strings of a Les Paul.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

classicrockrvisited.com

Alex Lifeson of Rush:
"I was very saddened to hear the news of Gary 's death. We toured together in the 80s and I remember him as a soft spoken, gentle man with a quick smile. His influence as a guitarist is undeniable and his purity of playing and passion will live on in all of us who love the instrument he so cherished.

Doug Aldrich of Whitesnake:
I spent today rediscovering some of the work he did. Nobody ever played with more emotion than Gary Moore. He played with unmatched soul and melody. But he was also by far, THE most ferocious, fearless and intense player i ever heard. No question. His playing made a huge impact on me. I had the opportunity to see him play several times while on tour. I remember me and Reb listening to him warm up.... It was awesome! Not only was he one of the all time great guitarists right up there with guys like Hendrix and Rhoads, but his voice was righteous and pure. Rest Peacefully Gary.

Bruce Kulick of Grand Funk Railroad and Kiss:
Gary Moore had amazing tone, and passion in his guitar playing. A monster of a guitarist. He will be missed.

Steve Morse of Deep Purple:
On the last date of our tour a couple of months ago, Gary was playing on Roger's [Glovers] MP3 player backstage through an amplified speaker. It was Gary and our Don Airey, I think, playing with Colosseum II. They sounded great, of course. Don always spoke fondly of his playing, and I'm a fan as well. His playing was lively, energetic, but tasteful at the same time. I never knew him but all of us in Purple were shocked at the loss.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online