That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Gary Moore

blabbermouth:

BRIAN ROBERTSON Remembers GARY MOORE - Feb. 11, 2011
Ex-THIN LIZZY/MOTÖRHEAD guitarist Brian Robertson took some time out to reflect and remember former bandmate and friend Gary Moore, who passed away earlier this week.

Brian spoke about the recording process of the THIN LIZZY "Nightlife" album and his refusal to re-record Gary's solos:

"When I first joined THIN LIZZY and we recorded the 'Nightlife' album, there was this track that we had to do, a song called 'Still In Love With You'. As it was time to record the guitar solos I refused to replace Gary's original solos. They were the best solos I'd ever heard at that point and I wouldn't let anyone talk me into changing that!"

Robertson reflected on just one of his memorable Gary Moore stories:

"In the early days with LIZZY, we did a tour of Europe with COLOSSEUM II, which was the band Gary was in at the time, and we did a gig in Arnhem, Holland. Gary came round my room at the hotel after the show with a crate of brandy. Needless to say, we had a great time and we ended up hosing each other down with the fire hoses in the hallway. Unfortunately, the fire alarm went off and the whole hotel had to be evacuated. It was a very cheap hotel and it had lots of senior citizens living there, so all of these people had help each other out of the hotel in the middle of the night while Gazza and I stayed in the room and tried to hide. We ended up in the nick for that prank, but it was quickly sorted by our managements."

Brian Robertson is set to release his first solo album, "Diamonds And Dirt", on April 5 in North America via SPV/Steamhammer.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

DEF LEPPARD Singer Remembers GARY MOORE - Feb. 11, 2011
During a recent round of radio interviews to promote his DOWN 'N OUTZ project, DEF LEPPARD frontman Joe Elliott was asked to give his thoughts on the passing of former THIN LIZZY guitarist, noted session player, and blues rock icon Gary Moore.

"Well, he's definitely up at the top [of the list of the greatest guitarists of all time], isn't he?" Elliott said. "In fairness, I think that he was probably wrongly accused of being one of these speed merchant guitarists because he could play fast. But the thing about Gary was that he actually came from the blues. Whereas a lot of the '80s guitarists just ripped Eddie Van Halen off."

Elliott singer also spoke about the time Moore opened for DEF LEPPARD in the '80s.

"Funnily enough, he took over from JON BUTCHER AXIS on our 'Pyromania' tour about halfway through it and was special guest to ourselves and KROKUS," Elliott recalled. "He had Ian Paice from DEEP PURPLE on drums. I remember [DEF LEPPARD drummer] Rick Allen was just... [he] couldn't — he was beside himself. He was 16 years old or 17-18 years old and his hero, his drumming hero, was third on the bill to us, you know? We were almost apologizing for it, you know?"

Joe added, "We knew Gary pretty well and he was a lovely chap and it's such a shame and such a waste."

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

WHITESNAKE Guitarist On GARY MOORE: 'He Played With Unmatched Soul And Melody' - Feb. 11, 2011
Doug Aldrich (WHITESNAKE, ex-DIO) has released the following statement to Classic Rock Revisited regarding the passing of former THIN LIZZY guitarist, noted session player, and blues rock icon Gary Moore:

"I spent today rediscovering some of the work he did. Nobody ever played with more emotion than Gary Moore. He played with unmatched soul and melody. But he was also by far THE most ferocious, fearless and intense player I ever heard. No question.

"His playing made a huge impact on me.

"I had the opportunity to see him play several times while on tour. I remember me and Reb [Beach, WHITESNAKE/WINGER guitarist] listening to him warm up... It was awesome!

"Not only was he one of the all-time great guitarists right up there with guys like [Jimi] Hendrix and [Randy] Rhoads, but his voice was righteous and pure."

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

There are not many covers of Peter Green's work that compare to the original but here Gary does a fantastic job .. :bow:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

melodicrock.com

JOE ELLIOTT TALKS GARY MOORE:
Def Leppard frontman Joe Elliott reminisced about the late, great Gary Moore, who passed away at age 58 last weekend. Elliott was asked a few questions about the Thin Lizzy guitarist and solo musician during a recent round of radio interviews, according to a Def Leppard fan site. "Well he's definitely up at the top isn't he?," Elliott said. "In fairness I think that he was probably wrongly accused of being one of these speed merchant guitarists because he could play fast. But the thing about Gary was that he actually came from the blues. Whereas a lot of the '80s guitarists just ripped Eddie Van Halen off." The Def Leppard singer also talked about the time Moore opened for his band in the '80s.
"Funnily enough, he took over from Jon Butcher Axis on our Pyromania tour about halfway through it and was special guest to ourselves and Krokus," Elliott remembered. "He had Ian Paice from Deep Purple on drums. I remember like [Leppard drummer] Rick Allen was just, couldn't – he was beside himself. He was 16 years old or 17/18 years old and his hero, his drumming hero, was third on the bill to us, you know? We were almost apologizing for it, you know? We knew Gary pretty well and he was a lovely chap and it's such a shame and such a waste."
ArticleLink: Def Leppard.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

blabbermouth:

GARY MOORE Laid To Rest - Feb. 24, 2011
According to the Belfast Telegraph, former THIN LIZZY guitarist, noted session player, and blues rock icon Gary Moore was laid to rest yesterday in a small village graveyard outside Brighton, England.

Moore's family decided to hold his funeral not in Belfast, Ireland, where he was born, but near where he had made his home in the past 15 years and where his children live.

Lily, one of the guitarist's four childen, spoke of her father as "a man with rather colorful shirts, who possessed a childlike quality and was an inspiration to many and the kind of person you could never forget."

THIN LIZZY guitarist Scott Gorham told the Belfast Telegraph that he was unaware the service for Moore was taking place.

"No one kept me informed of any arrangements regarding his funeral," he said.

"I'll drive down to Brighton one day on my own and pay my respects," Gorham added.

Read more from Belfast Telegraph.

PJC

Reaction score
Once of Wigan (UK)...now Peoria Heights Illinois

A few weeks ago...the Grammys paid a glowing tribute to Whitney Houston...all well and good ...and in the following tribute to the deceased music greats that followed Gary Moore was awarded 5 seconds of airtime.....the air was blue in this household...

Anyways...

On September 30 2012... this old Englishman will marry his sweetheart the beautiful Kara Sue... before we met Kara had never heard of Gary Moore...at the wedding reception the bride and groom will dance to this ....Kara choose it :)

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online