Forgotten Bands of the Sixties

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Sasquatch said:
That`s a good tune....but myself I prefer The Ramones version of it.

IMHO, the Ramones version is a reverential and worthy remake, but lacks the anarchic energy of the original "Surfin' Bird." But, truth be told, my preferences lie with the ultimate originals that inspired the Trashmen -- "The Bird is the Word" and "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" by the Rivingtons -- but that takes us outside of the subgenre of surf music. :) "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow," in particular, is 2:25 of pure and unintended genius.

Spike

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Jack D. said:
How about these 2.

"Pipeline" by The Chantays
"Sleepwalk" by Johnny and Sanos (A personal favorite of mine)

"Pipeline" is of course a classic. I like "Sleep Walk" too. I'm too young to remember it from when it was a hit. (It's rare that I say "I'm too young" on this board. :) ) But I've got it on a '50s compilation. It was actually by Santo and Johnny.

Spike

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
For some reason, surf music doesn't appeal to me at all. Which is odd since I'm from Hawaii and spent a lot of time at the beach surfing and all. LOL When I think surfing music I think Hawaiian music I guess.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
For some reason, surf music doesn't appeal to me at all. Which is odd since I'm from Hawaii and spent a lot of time at the beach surfing and all. LOL When I think surfing music I think Hawaiian music I guess.

"Although your world wonders me
with your majestic superior cackling hen.
Your people I do not understand.
So to you I wish to put an end.
And you'll never hear surf music again."
:)

Spike

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Spike said:
"Although your world wonders me
with your majestic superior cackling hen.
Your people I do not understand.
So to you I wish to put an end.
And you'll never hear surf music again."
:)

Spike
If I never hear it again I would be thrilled. :D

Jack D.

Reaction score
Music Wench said:

For you Music Wench "Don **".

For the others how about "It's a beautiful Day". I think they were very late 60's. For anyone who has not heard them, give them a listen. White Bird is their most popular song.

Tiny Bubbles

Jack D.

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
"White Bird" is a song that's been on my mind lately. I haven't heard it in many years, and I'd love to hear it again.

It's been on my mind alot latelly also. I will have to find it and give it another listen. I hope it's not one of those songs that the memory is better than the song.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Jack D. said:
For you Music Wench "Don **".

For the others how about "It's a beautiful Day". I think they were very late 60's. For anyone who has not heard them, give them a listen. White Bird is their most popular song.

Tiny Bubbles
Don ** is lounge music. I'm talking Makaha Sons of Niihau, The Brothers Cazimero and a whole bunch you have probably never heard of. ;)

I'll take Don ** over the Beach Boys any day,though.....

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online