Folk Album Anthology#6: Lindisfarne-Nicely Out Of Tune

joe

Reaction score
Lindisfarne was formed in Newcastle, England in 1967 and was signed to the fledging label, Charisma the next year and toured extensively throughout the UK playing the "open air" festivals and other venues.

Led by singer-songwriter/guitarist/keys Alan Hull the band released thier first album, Nicely Out Of Tune in 1970, a British progressive folk rock edged with political lyrics and just a tinge of psychedelia. Two singles were issued from the album, "Lady Eleanor" and "Clear White Light", but didn't recieve much attention. However it was thier next album, Fog On The Tyne that put the band in the light and "Lady Eleanor" was re-released and reached #3 on the UK charts.

Lindisfarne was one of the most popular bands in the UK in the early '70's though the band faded fast after thier third release due to numerous problems during the recording of the album and the sound took on more of a "pub rock" sound similar to Brinsley Schwarz. Three of the original members left the band after the critical and commercial failure of the album but Lindisfarne kept going right up to the early 2000's.

51vuF2BiRQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Don't have that recording Joe, but I do have "Dingly Dell"...only heard of this band because Sweaty told me about them ages ago. Hard to find their albums these days.

joe

Reaction score
I only have thier first two on vinyl. CD reissues?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^DL for me, I have never seen one of their CD's in any of our stores.(FLAC format not MP3 so it sounds good.)

snowblue

Reaction score
They are all available on CD in the UK, along with various 'Greatest Hits' CD's. I know that doesn't help the Canadian search! :tongue:

Winter's Song is my favourite from the album.

I was a huge fan growing up, and have Nicely Out Of Tune, Fog On The Tyne and Dingly Dell on vinyl and CD. I was always attracted to Alan Hull's songwriting and picked up his Pipedream solo CD (originally released in 1973) just last week. It always takes time for an album to grow on me, but this one is hitting the mark!

1zmk21h.jpg

I think I'll be having this as an avatar...........

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^At least someone can find the CD's easily...:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online