Felix Mandelssohn Bartholdy

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847)

Felix Mendelssohn (as he is known in most English-speaking countries) was a composer of incredibly beautiful melodies in a variety of settings, whether symphonies, overtures and incidental music, or chamber music. He was a genuine prodigy, playing and composing when he was quite young. In fact, he was the only prodigy from the 19th century that could rival Mozart from the 18th. Unlike Mozart, however, Mendelssohn's parents chose not to exploit their son's talents and trot him out to perform for cash, which resulted in, among other things, Mendelssohn's more stable personality. ;)

Some of his most beautiful works were composed when he was in his teens, and in fact, notes he wrote when touring Italy (a trip which became the inspiration for his famous 4th Symphony) indicate that in his early 20s he was already tiring a bit of the pressures of composing, feeling as though he'd already done a lifetime's worth of work.

Regardless of his feelings at that time, he wasn't nearly as prolific as Mozart, much to the detriment of the musical world, since, also like Mozart, he died quite young.

A great place to begin an appreciation of Medelssohn's music is his incidental music for A Midsummer Night's Dream, a portion of which can be heard here:

The same piece also includes the very well-known "Wedding March":

Another favorite of mine is his 4th Symphony, called the "Italian." Movie fans from the '70s may recognize themes from its 1st and 4th movements as having figured prominently in the film Breaking Away, which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adaptive Score. Here is the first movement:

and the 4th:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I forgot to add that Mendelssohn, more than any single other person, was responsible for the revival of interest in the music of J.S.Bach.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Excellent thread for a composer who deserves some love.:cheers:

I like his symphonies, that is where I started with Felix, especially his 3rd one or "Scottish symphony" as it's called.

Last edited:

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
Old Felix and his sublime Violin Concerto 2nd mvt.
Sarah Chang does the honours. :)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder of Mendelssohn's concerti, SteveB. One of my all-time favorites is his Piano Concerto No.1, particularly the spectacular final movement, played here by George Li with the Miami Symphony:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online