Favourite Beatles Drumming?

monkeesfan1967

Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has said "Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)."

Fug

Reaction score
I'm surprised that nobody has said "Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)."

Good call. I'd forgooten about that track. It most certainly is one of my faves. So is the drum line on Taxman from Revolver and, the entire Abbey Road album.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
BeatlesFan:

"He's got tremendous feel. He always helped us to hit the right tempo for a song, and gave it that support-that rock-solid back-beat-that made the recording of all The Beatles' songs that much easier." - George Martin

That says it all.

Still though there are critics saying that he's not a technically brilliant drummer. Well if the Beatles' tunes never called for technical elements beyond those which Ringo provided, how would they know that Ringo was not technically brilliant? Would that not have been bad drumming if he added superfluous complexity?

In fact, when it comes to drumming there is no such thing as "technical brilliance" as an entity in and of itself. The technical brilliance of a drummer can only be defined as a function of and in reference to whether he imparts the necessary background rhythm/beat to whatever arrangement/track he's given.

:wtf:

Last edited:

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Two that stick out for me are Sgt. Pepper(reprise) and I Wanna be Your Man.

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Elvis Costello - "Ringo Starr played the drums with an incredibly unique feel that nobody can really copy, although many fine drummers have tried and failed." (Rolling Stone, Issue 946 — April 15, 2004)

KING: Yoko, what makes Ringo Starr special?
ONO: I think that with somebody who is so incredible and talented, I think he had this thing about just being cooperative when he was in the band. In other words, he didn’t try to say, me, me, me, I’m the star. He was just playing with the other people in the band. There was a peacefulness and lovingness about it. He was always like that. So, I think that’s something that was very special in those groups of people in the ’60s, where everybody was saying, me, me, you know. (Larry King 2008 Interview)

BBT: Yeah, exactly. I was probably more of a Ringo guy. I always liked the way he looked when he played. He was my first drummer hero too, I mean, so that probably has a lot to do with it. But Ringo was a lot better drummer than people give him credit for. I mean, he did some stuff I was talking to Frank Beard from ZZ Top [whom Thornton first met while playing in a Top cover band] the other night, and Frank said, man, some of that stuff Ringo did, he said, I've never quite figured it out. And then of course, like you say, McCartney plays pretty well." (Colorado Springs Independent, July 10, 2008)

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebDimond

Staff online

Members online