Register to remove these ads

Favorite progressive rock bands?

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Magic, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Pancake

Pancake Junior Member

Big fan of 70's prog and regularly listen to the following;

ELP
    Genesis (P.G. era only)
    Pink Floyd
    Yes

but for me the best of the lot are Camel.

Superb band.

2. Pancake

Pancake Junior Member

Oh and King Crimson as well.

Allomerus likes this.
  3. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

'Zachariah' the first Electric Western 1971
    I read in a old Steve Hillage interview last night where he said that 1970s Progressive rock music basically died out around 1985 and that's why he got into electronic & dance music which I believe he felt was a natural progression for people of the 'hippy generation' which included himself to 'get into' although he admitted in the same interview that he still got a kick out of playing rock guitar in his own Steve Hillage band and with Gong.

E-Z

4. joe

joe Senior Member

I'd say that the "classic" period of prog fell on it's death bed in 1976 but it was still breathing... barely. Punk and disco pushed it over. It didn't rise again until the early '90's with Anglagard, Anekdoten, Porcupine Tree and progressive metal leading the way.

5. Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Bonham'ssqueakypedal Senior Member

Uh no. Not true. Prog never died it just went underground. Trust me on this. In fact, in the eighties you had Marillion who were possibly one of the highest profile prog bands of the eighties and they were probably the most well known(at least in the US)of the neo prog bands. Prog was alive and well in the eighties with neo prog mostly. Was it mainstream? No but it wasn't in the 90's either. The nineties gave us Dream Theater but really not much else that you could find in the record stores at the time. Ozric Tentacles too although they have unfortunately fallen off most prog fans radar by now. Porcupine Tree didn't get "big" until at least 2005 after they added metal influences. Also, more like 77 or 78 for prog to be kicked to the curb and even then Yes, Pink Floyd and ELP were breaking concert attendance records.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Bonham'ssqueakypedal Senior Member

To say that there's a lot more to prog rock beyond just ELP, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd or Rush or even Camel would be a massive understatement. Anyone even mildly interested in exploring the genre should check out the progarchives website. I won't list a link since I remember someone saying that could be considered spam on here(even though it really isn't) but I wanted to mention that site nonetheless.

7. ledzeppelin2018

ledzeppelin2018 Junior Member

I think that we would can't talk about progresive rock without The Nice, particularly without Keith Emerson, maybe ELP was better than The Nice, but the Nice is like a rough diamond

8. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

When it comes to 1970s progressive rock the only band that does it for me is the Dutch band Focus especially there three albums Moving Waves 1971, Focus III 1972 & Hamburger Concerto 1974.

Thijs van Leer Hammond organ, flute, some vocals, yodels & other noises
    Jan Akkerman guitar virtuoso
    Pierre van der Linden drums
    Collin Allen drums on Hamburger Concerto
    Cyril Havermans bass on Moving Waves
    Bert Ruiter bass on Focus III & Hamburger Concerto

RB

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    SanguineRemedy likes this.
  9. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Bloody bliss!

Pink Floyd and Atomic Rooster are my favorite prog bands

E-Z likes this.
  10. E-Z

E-Z Senior Member

With regards to Atomic Rooster SanguineRemedy I recently bought a x3 cd box set of the complete 1970-1974 album recordings although I did have the individual cd album releases a few years ago. Also one of the very first vinyl singles (45rpm) that I bought as a teenager was Devils Answer back in 1971 and in fact I actually bought it along with the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again also in 1971.

SanguineRemedy likes this.