Fairport Convention

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
If you like Sandy Denny this is a great album...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sandy's album "Like an old fasioned waltz" is also a good album to find as well. Mind you all of her musical output puts most other female singers in the shade (in a friendly way I might add imo) so any of her albums is worthy of a listen. She was not only a superb song writer but a great performer.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score
I like Richard and Linda Thompson's Shoot Out the Lights and I LOVE Sandy Denny, but for some reason I could never get into Fairport Convention, outside of their work with Denny.

The absolute best place to start with Sandy Denny is the anthology No More Sad Refrains. The solo material on disc two is just phenomenal.

2qcf38z.jpg

Fug

Reaction score
I have Liege & Leaf, and Unhalfbricking now Sox,,,haven't listened to them yet though...man the pile is getting bigger instead of smaller.

Unhalfbricking is a flawless set. It's their best record, imo.

Fug

Reaction score
I knew that Dave & Maartin were in Tull for a brief period but didn't realize they were also connected to Fairport Jeffrey, you learn something new everyday.:D

Dave Pegg's son Mathew played bass and toured with Tull as well. If I recall it was in the early 90s while his father was on a reunion tour with Fairport Convention.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me Fug, I'll play Unhalfbricking today sometime.:grinthumb

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
I have two favourite Fairport line-ups. The Liege and Leif era and the line-up with Martin Allcock who I've always rated highly as a musician - he can play almost anything.

There are quite a few books about the band, but one that I found a few years ago, written by a fan for the fans (so to speak) is imo worth trying to find.

TheWoodwormYears.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^Absolutely and the occasional crazy man killing the woman he fancies .. all good stuff. :cheers2

iasc

Reaction score
Brilliant band.

I have What We Did on Our Holidays, Unhalfbricking and Liege & Lief. All are great but Liege and Lief is the best I think and set the scene for bands like Steeleye Span

Great video with Robert Plant Sox. I'd never seen this before now

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online