Fairport Convention

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Yes a great band. There have been so many line up changes that, in some ways, it's difficult to "pin them down" to a certain style IMO. Love all their output and I would recommend seeing them live. The second line up with Sandy Denny, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Simon Nicol, Dave Swarbrick and Richard Thompson produced the classic Liege & Lief (1969) and for many this remains the epitome of folk rock.

The line up that produced the albums such as Jewel In The Crown (1995) was Simon Nichol, Dave Pegg, Maartin Allcock, Ric Sanders and Dave Mattacks was (with the added bonus of Maartin's ability to play any instrument on the planet . . and beyond) one of the most stable in their history and a great joy to see on stage.

Maartin Allcock and Dave Pegg were also in Jethro Tull although Maartin's involvement was mainly down to playing keyboards on a couple of tours.

Since Maartin left Fairport they've lost the "heaviness" which Maartin gave the band but Chris Leslie is an able replacement and a fine fiddle player.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I knew that Dave & Maartin were in Tull for a brief period but didn't realize they were also connected to Fairport Jeffrey, you learn something new everyday.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I just played "Liege & Lief" last night for the first time and was totally impressed.

Thanks Sox and Sweaty for the introduction and recommendation to this amazing band.:bow:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Pretty good stuff there, Sox. Reminds me of Loreena McKennitt. :)

elfranco

Reaction score
This is a group that smacked me across da puss when I heard Sandy Denny singing "Tam Lin" on radio back in the 70's. FP went public in 1967 or 68. "Tam Lin" is a Scottish poem about fairies in the woods. This recording (one of many versions) is well-crafted and the performance is tight. Ms. Denny's smooth, effortless voices is warm and feeling, yet lifteing and smooth,. The band itself consist of members playing instruments for yore as well as the present. Listening to FP will transport you back in time and yet the musicians accomplish feats of showmanship that will endure.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks to my friends Sox and Sweaty I now have 4 of FC's albums, and I can't believe I never picked up any until recently....:bonk:

:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online