Encores - Yes or no?

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Inspired by a conversation on the radio today. Basically the thrust was that maybe the encore is a bit of a 'showbiz' thing. I have personal experience of this. I was at the Wall gig at Earls Court in 1980. This was during the period when Roger held the upper hand and there was no encore. I couldn't help getting the feeling that an encore was 'beneath them'. As things have transpired since I know that was completely down to Roger. When I saw Floyd in '94 the encore was spectacular. Personally I think if a band just walks off after a gig with no encore that says they are an arrogant bunch of ****ers (Which is what I thought of Floyd in 1980).

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Gotta be an encore. It's unfortunately become a given at this point, so it no longer feels spontaneous or special. But you still have to do it. I'm someone with an uncommon interest in the actual craft of setlist construction and I think the encore is an essential piece of the setlist, if you leave on the set closer then it's anticlimactic.

Plus even though encores are pretty set in stone these days, you still have those special times when a genuinely spontaneous encore emerges. Ten or so years ago we saw the then-current version of Ten Years After playing in a tiny pub and when they were done we were going so crazy they had to come out and do 50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain. Didn't play that track on any other gig that tour! 'Course the flipside is our local Pavillion theater has strict noise ordinances that cut a lot of shows short. When The Doors of the 21c came through they had to cut Riders on the Storm and the new original track off the set, that was a drag. When Neil Young & Crazy Horse came through on the Greendale tour we only get about 10 minutes of non-Greendale stuff because of the noise curfew. Hey, you win some, you lose some, I guess.

Funnily enough, huge huge Roger Waters fan but the fact that he doesn't do an encore for The Wall gigs is one of the reasons I haven't gone to any of the several tours he's done recently. Saw him in the mid-00s touring Darkside and of course we got a whole other set full of amazing stuff like Pigs, Set the Controls, and then of course an encore with Comfortably Numb. One of my favorite concerts I've been to. Gotta have that encore. Can't believe some people run out before the encore to get a jump on traffic -- what a waste!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Encore .. Every time for me, the vast majority of bands I've seen always play one of their best tunes in amongst the goodnight songs at the end. Gives you a last high to leave with.

JimJam

Reaction score
I've attended dozens of concerts and cannot think of any that did not include an encore, from club to arena. Even in disappointing concerts where the crowd was far less than enthusiastic, it's the ritual wait for the band to return. It's rote and show-bizy but I've never minded the extra song or two regardless of the quality of the show.

Last edited:

Fever

Reaction score
As long as they play all their songs, I don't care.The Who didn't play an encore on the show I just went to

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember when I saw KISS on the Monster tour...

Paul Stanley said "ok this is the part of the night when we say goodnight,go offstage,you make noise,we come back and play some more. How about we skip that part and just play?"

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online