That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Elton John Concerts Protested by Russian Parents’ Group

elton-Ethan-Miller.jpg

A parents’ group in Russia is protesting Elton John‘s upcoming concerts there. The committee has asked President Vladimir Putin to cancel the shows because of the singer’s homosexuality.

Just last week, John said he wouldn’t cancel his Dec. 6 show in Moscow because of the nation’s anti-gay legislature. Now The Guardian reports that a parents’ group in the central Ural region of Russia is protesting the concert (as well as one in Kazan scheduled for Dec. 7) because ”the singer intends to come out in support of local sodomites and break the current Russian law, directed at protecting children.”

Specifically, protesters claim that John is violating a ban on “homosexual propaganda” in Russia, a mostly conservative region recently under fire for its discriminatory treatment against gay people. There’s a move to boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics because of Russia’s legislation.

John, whose new album ‘The Diving Board’ was released today, told The Guardian last week that boycotting his concert in Moscow isn’t the answer. “As a gay man, I can’t leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them,” he said. John added that when he toured the Soviet Union in 1979, he had sex with a translator on the roof of a Moscow building.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Tempest in a tea cup,,,but I give Elton kudos for doing what he thinks is the right thing. 30+ years ago the entire homosexual issue was really controversial at least where I grew up. Now it's way past time to realize there's nothing to fear, they are people who simply have a different lifestyle than most normal folks.

Russia is about 30 years behind the times anyway as recent events have shown.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
You know, people, I believe that the personal life of the human and his behavior - is that, in what no one has the right to intervene (though I don't approve of gay pride parades and don't understand why this is necessary at all; for example, straight people don't organize a "parade of heterosexuals". Exhibit their sexual preferences on public display de trop, because, ultimately, it's nobody's business). And about the situation in Russia: all this hysteria about "anti-gay's" laws - it's just a smokescreen by Putin's government for a stupid cattle, and goal of all that - divert the attention of ordinary Russian people from the most serious crimes and abuses, that come from the officials-bureaucrats and oligarchs. 2_sm25.gif

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
You know, people, I believe that the personal life of the human and his behavior - is that, in what no one has the right to intervene (though I don't approve of gay pride parades and don't understand why this is necessary at all; for example, straight people don't organize a "parade of heterosexuals". Exhibit their sexual preferences on public display de trop, because, ultimately, it's nobody's business). And about the situation in Russia: all this hysteria about "anti-gay's" laws - it's just a smokescreen by Putin's government for a stupid cattle, and goal of all that - divert the attention of ordinary Russian people from the most serious crimes and abuses, that come from the officials-bureaucrats and oligarchs. 2_sm25.gif

You know, they do that in America as well! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I consider Putin a 'gangster' in the Al Capone mode North. I can't doubt his intelligence, but the way he and his cronies have abused the system in Russia is a travesty.

I was shocked to learn the average lifespan of a man in Russia right now is 59 years old, saw a tidbit where Bill Clinton was talking about the Syria/Russia/US mess going on right now and mentioned that statistic.

Both of those matters are far more important than this blow up about a minority of people who want equal rights same as everyone else.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
Yeah, Lord Grendel. Putin is a chief of one of the largest criminal syndicates in the world. :mad

Shelly

Reaction score
I don't completely understand what parents from Ural region and Kazan have to do with his show in MOSCOW?? Don't like him? Just don't go to Moscow, as simple as that.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This also seems a distraction from the quality of Elton John's music, which has suffered since he broke from Gus Dudgeon. Sadly, these days he seems better known for his antics, than his albums.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Russia seems an increasingly retarded and intolerant country (present company excepted!)...I mean they still have that girl band Pussy Riot in jail for singing songs criticising the Government and the church, it's getting like **** Germany in the '30s who threw thousands of gays into extermination camps. Elton doesn't need to go there so I hope he doesn't make a big thing of this, cancel the shows, and instead put on an exhibition of political prisoners in chains digging up potatoes with rusty old 1970's model tractors and ploughs to the accompaniment of the Russian Army Band playing a Shostakovich funeral march.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimManess3

Staff online

Members online