Elton John (Official Thread)

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
Re: Elton John

Pre-1972 Elton John, I'm not a fan of. But with Honky Chateau and GYBR, I started to like his stuff more

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Except for the songs "Honky Cat", Crocodile Rock" and "Bennie and the Jets", Elton's music from the 70's was great!

I think his best music from the 80's and 90's can be found on a Best Of disc, and there a quite a few of those, too.

I've met Nigel Olsson twice, and he was a Super nice guy both times. :cheers:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree his 70's was by far his best for quality albums. I don't have any of his works from after his Greatest Hits volume II, which I bought for "Island Girl", and "Bitch is Back", both guilty pleasures...lol.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

My sister gave me a copy of "Elton John Greatest Hits 1976-1986" about a month ago. Up to 1976 was pretty much the Elton I was by far the most familiar with and I listened to this album and kept thinking "What is this? Where is the Elton I know and love?". After looking into that album alot closer it turns out all the songs I was saying that about was from the 80's.

Reaction score

Except for the songs "Honky Cat", Crocodile Rock" and "Bennie and the Jets", Elton's music from the 70's was great!

I think his best music from the 80's and 90's can be found on a Best Of disc, and there a quite a few of those, too.

aw, I love Crocodile Rock, besides that high pitched vocal part..... on any digital copies I have I cut that out, I can not stand that part, but aside from that I love that song, I think Bennie and the Jets is incredible, but I hate it :heheh: but come on how can you hate crocodile rock?
My sister gave me a copy of "Elton John Greatest Hits 1976-1986" about a month ago. Up to 1976 was pretty much the Elton I was by far the most familiar with and I listened to this album and kept thinking "What is this? Where is the Elton I know and love?". After looking into that album alot closer it turns out all the songs I was saying that about was from the 80's.

I think Elton was a bit confused in the 80s.... some dying brain cells may have had something to do with that, but he wasn't "himself":heybaby:he married a woman instead of his usual choice of a homosexual man in case anyone hasn't caught on...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Maybe.....I personally think Elton was trying to keep up with the times so that he didn't fade away. And really it worked because he continued to chart highly throughout the 80's and on.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

aw, I love Crocodile Rock, besides that high pitched vocal part..... on any digital copies I have I cut that out, I can not stand that part, but aside from that I love that song, I think Bennie and the Jets is incredible, but I hate it :heheh: but come on how can you hate crocodile rock?
I don't know... but I do. :D

F

FoxyPage

I've been listening to a lot of Elton today.

I don't care how lame people think he is, 80's Elton kicked ass.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Maybe.....I personally think Elton was trying to keep up with the times so that he didn't fade away. And really it worked because he continued to chart highly throughout the 80's and on.

You hit the nail right on the head Cosmic, he is nothing if not adaptable. There is a reason for his longevity, besides his need to create and play his music, he is Terrible with his finances. Every few months his accountant will send him a "You are almost broke" letter, and then Elton will tell his promoters to organize another tour. He spends his money as fast as he makes it, I saw a documentary on BBC about him and it's not unusual for him to spend over $120,000 on flowers every year.

On the plus side that means he tours constantly. I never said 80's Elton was bad or anything Foxy, just that his most Epic songs/albums were done in the 70's, that is my opinion anyway, but I'm glad there are fans a generation behind me that like him no matter what decade/era they choose to check out.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online