Elton John (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Elton John

LG, I dont have a single piece of Elton John in my library!! It is not that I dislike him, I just never collected his music. :coffee:

I might get one of the Greatest hits albums...although these compilations dont always do the artist justice.

I do love his collection of eye wear.

elton_john_2.jpg

I also respect his courage, although completely eccentric and self absorbed like most Rock Diva's male or female, he was one of the first gay artists to come forward and blaze the trail for others who followed. And this was back in the mid-70's when it took a lot of guts to do something like that. He still remained popular and toured and we never thought any less of him as a result of his sexual preferences. He also does a Huge amount of charity work for the Aids foundation, which I applaud.

Talented performer and gives of himself for causes he believes in, so I respect him on two levels.:D

Magic-I thought this one included just about anything I could want!

LG-Amongst the things you listed I also think he is very open minded musically anbd his collaborations with musical artist has been all the way across the board as far as genres. He worked with Timbaland, Alice In Chains, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Pavarotti, The Scissor Sisters, Axl Rose, Ryan Adams, LeAnn Rimes, etc. I think Eltons one of the few performers who I see as a true fan of MUSIC in general! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You bring up a good point Bry, Elton has worked with many diverse people over his amazing career, unfortunately my interest in him really did end in the 70's, to me that will be the work that defines his career more than anything else he did afterward.

F

FoxyPage

I like alot of Elton's older songs. After the 80's, I never bothered to listen to much. Candle in the Wind was a lovely song but I hated it. Probably moreso because of how overplayed it was.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Exactly the same as me Foxy, early EJ is really good, creative and lots of variety, later EJ was too much pop for me. I like Candle in the Wind but they overplayed it after Diana's death and I haven't listened to it for a while myself.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Most people today don't remember that Elton was married to a real woman for almost five years.

Singer+Elton+John+Turns+60+wlC_jf7HbCBl.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm glad you mentioned that Shadow, you are right. I have no idea if it was a marriage in name only, for public relations purposes or if Elton was trying one last time to see if he was gay or maybe bi-sexual. I know he was not very happy through the whole time he was married.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

One of his most underrated albums would have to be Tumbleweed Connection. I just played it this morning, and have to say it is moving up on my list of his best efforts. This is when EJ was at his experimental best and I never gave this recording the attention it deserved, until my friend Craig mentioned how much he liked this one, and it being a concept album doesn't hurt either.

If you are only familiar with his hits or pop songs you should check this CD out, it is just excellent.

Country Comfort.

Elton_John_-_Tumbleweed_Connection_.jpg

Elton_John_-_Tumbleweed_Connecti-1.jpg

Reaction score

I'll have to listen to that, I don't know if I've heard one song off that album

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I'm with LG on this one. John's early works are, IMO, much better than his later ones, generally speaking, though I'm still reserving judgement on his last three albums or so. Unlike LG, though, I never made it as far as Captain Fantastic. I bailed right after GYBR. For me, his best will always be Tumbleweed, Madman and Honky Chateau, with Don't Shoot Me and Yellow Brick Road close behind.

BTW, if anyone has a copy of Tumbleweed on vinyl, listen closely to "Talking Old Soldiers." The vocal has some of the most rock solid and vivid imaging I've ever heard on a pop/rock record.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online