And have another drink on me
Just ignore all the others you got your memories
You got your memories
© 1970 Dick James Music Limited

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Elton John

While Taupin's lyrics in "Talking Old Soldiers" are certainly evocative and on par with his best efforts, Mr. Shadow, I was talking about "imaging" in an audio sense. The recording of the vocal sounds more "real" than most pop recordings do. Its relative position in the overall soundstage is easily discernible and never wavers from its spot right in the middle, between the speakers. That doesn't always happen.

Unless I misunderstood your post, and you really did know what I was talking about and just wanted to put the song up for everyone to hear. And if that's the case, thanks!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am sure that is what he was doing Craig...and it's almost impossible to recreate a proper soundstage from a PC anyway, won't come close to sittin' in your listening room playing the album.

I agree about the quality and imaging of the recording, I was mesmerized when I was drinking my morning coffee and played Tumbleweed all the way through. Not just good songs, but great production values as well, his piano sounds like it is in the room with you.:D

rtbuck

Reaction score

Hey Lord,did we hang out in the same group of friends when were younger???

Before I became a music freak & got into the hard rock stuff such as Kiss,Aerosmith, Nugent,& BOC I was a big fan of Elton John.I mostly was listening to AM Top 40 & buying 45's at that time but my Uncle who lived with us had his early albums such as Don't Shoot Me... & Honky Chateau on 8 track & I liked them alot especially 'Honky Chateau'. Back then I was a Pinball Freak & my older sister introduced me to the movie Tommy & I was amazed at Elton's performance. That year my sister bought me my first little stereo(it was just a record changer & 2 small speakers)for Christmas.She also bought me my First actual record albums: Captain Fantastic,the Tommy OST, & Elton John Here & There. One of my other sister's also bought me Here & There so my Sister Sally who bought the stereo & albums traded in one of the 'Her & There' albums for ...
Kiss 'Rock & Roll Over' & then my life changed.
For the record one of the later songs of Elton's I did like from the early 80's was "Empty Garden" which got some airplay on MTV but was soon forgotten

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Could be Bucky we seem to have some almost exact parallels along our musical journey. I never stopped liking my mellow rock like Elton John and even some ABBA songs, seeing all our girlfriends liked those artists, but when we were on our own it was Steppenwolf, Purple, Hendrix, Sabbath, so we had the best of both worlds.

I am not sure I remember that song Empty Garden....as I said I was big fan of EJ in the 70's and later not so much. I have never wavered in my respect for him even though his later stuff was much less adventurous than what I grew up with.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You raise a good point, it never really dawned on me his voice is any different now, admittedly I don't pay attention to his new recordings.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time to forge ahead, even though the order is askew now...:D

My favorite album, and the first Elton recording I listened to, "Honky Chateau". Released in 1972 this one belongs in every fans collection, simply one of the strongest set of songs Bernie Taupin and EJ collaborated on during their illustrious partnership. From a technical viewpoint it is a stunning recording as well, the combination of songs, instrumentation, vocals and technical prowess all came together on this gem.

Elton_John_-_Honky_Chateau_1972-Fro.jpg

elton_john_honky_chateau_back.jpg

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online