Dokken (Official Thread)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Re: Dokken...The Band Thread

Dokken. Rhymes with "rockin". I think the band first began in the late 70's under the name The Boyz when George Lynch and Eddie Van Halen were the top attractions on the Sunset Strip. But that was a long time ago so perhaps my timeline is a bit off after all these years. :D

At any rate, any Dokken thread should start out with, "it all started when Don Dokken first stole George Lynch's song "Paris Is Burning", and thus the fued between the two was on. :heheh:

But they're my second favorite 80's group right after Ratt and Motley. Ok, third favorite. Lots of great songs such as "Breaking the Chains", "Into the Fire", "Alone Again", "The Hunter", "Heaven Sent", and "Sleepless Night" to name but a scant few. Certainly there are plenty of awesome songs to make a kick-ass 80 minute best of cd.

Dokken also made some great music in the 90's (with and without Lynch), most notably "Long Way Home" from 1995's Dysfunctional cd. This live version is pretty close to its studio counterpart, but the studio version has a much deeper bottom end and rocks even harder! :bow:

Dokken - Long Way Home (Live)

Last edited:

Pat Catalano

Reaction score

I don't know what to say yet. I am still giggling like a schoolgirl. lol.

I love Dokken by far next to Queensryche my all time favorite band. And Last year when Dokken and Queensryche played the House of Blues in Chicago I think I almost shit myself. As you can imagine I was front row for that show. and have some great pics also I will post later. I own every thing Dokken has come out with, but don't ask me what my favorite is I couldn't say its to hard. lol

I got to finally meet them back in 96 when they were on the Dysfunctional tour. and have meet them after every show since. I miss Lynch in the band but I have become friends with Jon Levin who is the current guitar player. I have some cool stories I can share later.
:cheers:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Pat: that's awesome. Dokken and Kiss are among my top 2 bands, switching back and forth depending on mood. Obviously with my name here on the forums, George is my fave in the band and he's also my favorite guitar player ever.

Getting to see both Dokken AND QR at the same show? Damn, I"m envious to say the least. Front row? Even cooler!

Pat Catalano

Reaction score

Ha Dean knows me to well, That is "one" of my all time favorite Dokken songs. But mostly because of the amazing guitar work. :bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

That's one of my favorites as well man!! I remember seeing Heaven Sent for the first time. I already knew the song as I had the album but the video blew me away. :grinthumb

This one had similar affects.

Dokken - Walk Away

Pat Catalano

Reaction score

ah yes also one of my favorites. I love that song because it was the one last track that Dokken did together that was released on the live album Beast from the East. and if you watch that video if i am correct in the story none of the band members were there together for this video shoot. they were all in litigation and fighting about one this or another and the band was already broken up. that they shot the video all on their own and with high tech camera trickery lol in some parts they look as if they are in the video together.
the old man in the video is a friend of Dons who was also a friend of Andy Worhol and legendary parties took place there.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Both great tunes guys. Heaven Sent has an incredible solo in it. Great song all the way through, but the first time I heard that solo, it just renewed my faith that GL was a guitar 'god' in his own right, which I already believed at that time anyway.

And I remember when Walk Away came out on video. Pretty sure Pat's spot on with the description of how that video was put together. Very good song.

Pat Catalano

Reaction score

Oh and funny story about the Heaven Sent video, they pulled into this little town one night after a show in the middle of their tour and shot this video. they were not allowed access to the cemetery so they ended up making a fake cemetery right outside the gates of the real cemetery and all the headstones you see in the forefront are fake cardboard headstones with funny names on them including some of the band and road crew.
I know a lot of useless info on Dokken. lol

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online