Dio/Rainbow-ish bands?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I could post a whack of Deep Purple-esque sounding bands, a few less Heep-ish bands from '70-'74. They're not going to sound exactly the same as Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.

Maybe your ears need to make some concessions. A lot of these artists that have been posted I do hear some Dio-era Rainbow influences and sound similarities. However, I don't hear the DIO-era RAINBOW.

I have to agree.

Zool and Narvel have HUGE Dio/ Era Rainbow influences that are so strong as to be undeniable. I mean if you want some one that carbon copies the band then I give up. All the other bands that I could post I'm not going to bother with ...

tribalfusion

Reaction score
I could post a whack of Deep Purple-esque sounding bands, a few less Heep-ish bands from '70-'74. They're not going to sound exactly the same as Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.

Maybe your ears need to make some concessions. A lot of these artists that have been posted I do hear some Dio-era Rainbow influences and sound similarities. However, I don't hear the DIO-era RAINBOW.

Thanks but I am not expecting to find carbon-copies...so I am not sure what concessions you would like me to make.

I referenced Gates of Babylon, Stargazer or pieces like Temple of the King, Rainbow Eyes etc which are I think a mix of hard, progressive and perhaps Medieval stylings.

Rainbow from that era seems to be more legendary than emulated or perhaps just emulated in their harder-edged aspects.

I do appreciate the references (some of which I knew and some of which I didn't) so please keep them coming. It doesn't mean I will love any or all of them per se but I am interested to see what exists beyond what I already know

So far, the Zool band seems the closest from what I have heard along with Axel Rudi Pell at times perhaps

Thanks again

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
a band called Zaxas. Look for 'em. I'm too lazy to right now, but they sound alot like Dio's solo band.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
The band that come to mind for me are a short lived NWOBHM band named TYTAN . They made one fine album "Rough Justice" and split up . They had enormous potential. I even talked my friend Sweaty into purchasing a copy !
TYTANs vocalist Kal Swan had a Dio style...musically TYTAN had more of a DIO/SABBATH feel to them than DIO/RAINBOW, but are well worth checking out !! Kal was with a band named LION previously, in which I can say weren't too bad either :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Funny you should mention Tytan, after I stumbled across a recording, last night, I made on cassette of this very track (the single). Yes, it was me that killed music with home taping! You are right he does sound like Dio, although I hadn't noticed at the time (early eighties). I also detect a smidge of Uriah Heep.

Great avatar by the way, Lou.

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Astral Doors is the best Dio's epigoni for me.

Thanks...they came up earlier in the thread. They seem more like Dio in his metal phase to me rather than the period I most enjoy which is the 70s with Rainbow.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I wonder what modern bands especially people here might like (even if they don't sound like Rainbow)?

Thanks!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online