Dio/Rainbow-ish bands?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Very good Purple/Heep-ish band. That track with Brian Howe that was on the reissue of their S/T album was pretty killer.

If they remind you of Heep more then Rainbow I would say it's time for a check up. A couple of the songs sound a lot like Rainbow.

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
If they remind you of Heep more then Rainbow I would say it's time for a check up. A couple of the songs sound a lot like Rainbow.

Well, I never tried to contradict you for the sake of it. There's obviously the huge Purple/Rainbow influence, which shines through the most, but much of the keyboard work on the album gave me a distinctly Heep vibe. But hey, you'd be right, I haven't listened to the album in full for a good year or so.

Just my two cents, anyway.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Well, I never tried to contradict you for the sake of it. There's obviously the huge Purple/Rainbow influence, which shines through the most, but much of the keyboard work on the album gave me a distinctly Heep vibe. But hey, you'd be right, I haven't listened to the album in full for a good year or so.

Just my two cents, anyway.

I disagree, while they are more then likely Heep influenced as so many heavy prog bands of the era were I would say there are more songs ( 3 or 4 including the bonus tracks ) that sound very similar to Dio era Rainbow (who also had a good deal of keyboard work ) then sound like Heep.

Opinions I guess but I don't hear any directly Heepish songs.

EDIT: Correction , upon farther review one song sounds very Heep like but it is directly followed by two songs that sound VERY much like Rainbow .

Last edited:

tribalfusion

Reaction score

Thanks again for the references. May I ask what songs you have in mind as I am listening to a few things on Youtube and so far I am not hearing a huge Dio-era Rainbow vibe?

Thanks

joe

Reaction score
I could post a whack of Deep Purple-esque sounding bands, a few less Heep-ish bands from '70-'74. They're not going to sound exactly the same as Deep Purple or Uriah Heep.

Maybe your ears need to make some concessions. A lot of these artists that have been posted I do hear some Dio-era Rainbow influences and sound similarities. However, I don't hear the DIO-era RAINBOW.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online