Dio/Rainbow-ish bands?

noodlez

Reaction score
Best bet that I can think of would be Jorn Lande. He has fronted alot of bands (Masterplan, Arc, guest vocalist, etc.), but his most stable gig is with the Power Metal/Rock band Jorn. The man has a great voice and is heavily inspired by Dio and Coverdale.

He was good friends with Dio and recorded a Dio-tribute album only weeks before Dio passed away (with his blessings too btw). He wrote one original song on the album specifically for RDJ who was battling cancer at the time, but never got the chance to let him hear it. He was unfairly criticized quite a bit when the record company released it immediately after Dio's death.

- THE OFFICIAL JORN WEBSITE -
JORN | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Best bet that I can think of would be Jorn Lande. He has fronted alot of bands (Masterplan, Arc, guest vocalist, etc.), but his most stable gig is with the Power Metal/Rock band Jorn. The man has a great voice and is heavily inspired by Dio and Coverdale.

He was good friends with Dio and recorded a Dio-tribute album only weeks before Dio passed away (with his blessings too btw). He wrote one original song on the album specifically for RDJ who was battling cancer at the time, but never got the chance to let him hear it. He was unfairly criticized quite a bit when the record company released it immediately after Dio's death.

- THE OFFICIAL JORN WEBSITE -
JORN | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Thanks very much. I do know Jorn and agree that he has a lot of the heavier Dio vibe (as well as an even stronger Coverdale vibe in some respects). I am glad that someone still sings in that tradition.

I suppose what I am missing in his music are some of the softer and more subtle elements of Rainbow which as I was saying earlier seem to have been jettisoned for the later Dio output.

Take care

tribalfusion

Reaction score
I guess we can keep pluggin' away at this until something strikes your fancy. How about U.D.O....

Solid metal of its type but not really what I had in mind as being Rainbow-like. Please keep the suggestions coming though...

Thanks again

joe

Reaction score
Definitely...I hoped to make that very clear :D

Just kidding.:grinthumb

I'll give it one last shot.

UK hard rock/heavy psych band Stray. This track is from Houdini(1976):

From Hearts Of Fire(1976):

And from Valhalla(2010):

US hard rock/heavy metal-Winterhawk-Revival(1982):

Canadian hard rocker Neil Merryweather from Kryptonite(1975):

And from Space Rangers(1974):

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Just kidding.:grinthumb

I'll give it one last shot.

UK hard rock/heavy psych band Stray. This track is from Houdini(1976):

From Hearts Of Fire(1976):

And from Valhalla(2010):

US hard rock/heavy metal-Winterhawk-Revival(1982):

Canadian hard rocker Neil Merryweather from Kryptonite(1975):

And from Space Rangers(1974):

Thanks I knew Merryweather but had never heard Winterhawk; they sound a lot like classic Rush which is nice.

Any other suggestions :)?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I would suggest that you look up that Zool album as the rest of the album is as close to Dio era Rainbow as it can be without being a clone. The only reason I posted that video is because they have no others up at Youtube.

I know of other bands that have strong Rainbow influences but none are going to be a perfect match as they have other influences as well so .....

tribalfusion

Reaction score
I would suggest that you look up that Zool album as the rest of the album is as close to Dio era Rainbow as it can be without being a clone. The only reason I posted that video is because they have no others up at Youtube.

I know of other bands that have strong Rainbow influences but none are going to be a perfect match as they have other influences as well so .....

Thanks I did look Zool up though I couldn't find much on it besides a few reviews which I did read though I was able to locate other albums by people from the band which were vaguely in the ballpark too. I agree with your assessment from what I have seen so far...

The suggestions don't have to be exact matches; I am just looking for some decent options and to see if I have missed anything as well so please feel free to suggest the other bands you had in mind

Thanks again

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online