Dio/Rainbow-ish bands?

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone had any advice on bands which might appeal to someone who is a big fan of Dio-era Rainbow (Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, Man on the Silver Mountain etc).

I haven't followed rock as closely in years so I don't know if perhaps I have missed anything along these lines.

Thanks very much!

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will be able to help out.

As for me, i'll just be part of the welcome party.

So....welcome.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You could give Dio's band before Rainbow a listen.... Elf.

Elf-Elf.jpg

CarolinaCountyBall.jpg

TryingToBurnTheSun.jpg

tribalfusion

Reaction score
Well I know all the various Purple/Rainbow offshoots and prior bands like Elf well (though I don't think they were nearly as epic in style as Dio-era Rainbow) so I had less well-known or obvious groups in mind and perhaps even more recent bands I might be less likely to know

Thanks in any case...

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
a-avantasia.jpg

Rhapsody+of+Fire.jpg

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
The three bands I can think of off the top of my head ...Astral Doors , Zool and Narval ...have already been mentioned but I know that I know of more .Let me give it some thought and I will be back later.

tribalfusion

Reaction score
"Astral Planes" might be tickle your fancy, the singer's very much from the school of Ronnie Dio.

Thanks I have heard them but they sound more like the metal Dio of later years...less like what I had in mind

Ciao

tribalfusion

Reaction score
The three bands I can think of off the top of my head ...Astral Doors , Zool and Narval ...have already been mentioned but I know that I know of more .Let me give it some thought and I will be back later.

The Zool clip was a bit closer in spirit (although to honest kind of reminded me of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers in some ways, especially vocally).

If you come up with anything else, I would greatly appreciate it. There are a few things I can think of here and there such as early MSG perhaps or Bonnett and Malmsteen related projects, Axel Rudi Pell (whom I don't especially like) or maybe even the band Silver Mountain in some moments but I always wondered if there were more I had simply overlooked.

I suppose the elements would be certain epic content, well sung vocals with a mix of power and subtlety, fine guitar playing and a genre which has elements of prog but is still on the heavier side.

From what I can tell, the main Dio/Rainbow followers became more focused on the metal elements and less so on the others (Rainbow Eyes would be hard to imagine from any of these groups for example) and the lilting swing of Cozy Powell's drums are long gone...

Cheers

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online