"Def Leppard doesn't get the respect they deserve."-Joe Elliott

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth

DEF LEPPARD Singer Says His Band Doesn't Get Respect It Deserves - Aug. 17, 2011
According to Australia's long-running rock station Triple M, DEF LEPPARD frontman Joe Elliott has slammed the British music press for allegedly not giving his band the respect it deserves.

Elliott told Triple M: "I was having a little bit of a bitch to the press because… there are certain glossy magazines in England that will do nothing except put McCartney/Lennon, Springsteen, Michael Stipe, Bono, blah blah blah… on the front cover and they think people like us and Jon Bon Jovi and Lemmy and anybody that's not Michael Stipe or Bruce Springsteen… they think that we're like morons and stupid."

He continued, "We've sold more records than Morrissey and I think I'm a better singer than Morrissey and we think we write better songs than Morrissey yet they'll still think that Morrissey is really cool because he was once in THE SMITHS.

"I've got nothing against Morrissey, I've got something against the press that think that way."

DEF LEPPARD's "Pyromania" (1983) and "Hysteria" (1987) albums sold over ten million copies each in the U.S. alone.

joesolo.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Does anyone really pay attention to music magazines anymore??

I don't see what he is fussing about, perhaps just a way to grab some attention for his band. Mainstream industry magazines rarely reflect the reality of the music scene, the old underground magazines were far better when it came to talking about all kinds of music. Most of these glossy publications are just about selling copies to make a profit, hence the over use of certain famous artists at the expense of many others.

This doesn't even qualify as a ripple on a pond in the grand scheme of things.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Leppard I have all respect for, only for the albums up to Adrenalize.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
DEF LEPPARD's "Pyromania" (1983) and "Hysteria" (1987) albums sold over ten million copies each in the U.S. alone.
As of a few years ago, there were only 4 bands EVER that had sold back-to-back diamond albums (only counting US sales).

• The Beatles
  • Pink Floyd
  • Van Halen
  • Def Leppard
Sales don't mean squat in the grand scheme of what you like and what you don't like, because that's all a matter of opinion. It is an interesting piece of trivia though.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
they think that we're like morons and stupid.

Wow! With, like, such a, like, mastery of articulation n stuff, how can anyone not consider him one of history's, like, greatest lyricists and junk??

Haha just razzin' on him. I think bands like Leppard and Jovi get exactly the right kind of praise. They are massive platinum-selling monsters, beloved and worshiped by millions. No, the critics don't compare them to Bob Dylan or Michael Stipe. That's kind of what happens when you sing about fast cars and bitches instead of civil rights. He has no business expecting to be equated with Bob Dylan. Hair bands are glorious pop artists more than anything. I worship Katy Perry but I wouldn't expect to see E.T. listed alongside The Times They Are A-Changin', no matter how beautiful and eloquent it is. I'm sure Leppard and Jovi get props from the magazines to which their music is relevant.

It sort of irks me when artists want to be considered great for everything instead of just what they're actually great at. Kurt Cobain once complained about people like Eddie Vedder getting listed on brilliant lyrics lists and not him. Well, Kurt, you write your lyrics five minutes before you lay down the vocals. Is being considered one of the all-time game changing and greatest rock bands ever not enough?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
He continued, "We've sold more records than Morrissey and I think I'm a better singer than Morrissey and we think we write better songs than Morrissey
Joe could fart better tunes than Morrissey could ever sing.

they'll still think that Morrissey is really cool because he was once in THE SMITHS.
both of which are incredibly overrated.

Joe has a point. Not sure what complaining about it will do other than give them a little bit of press (which could be the entire point anyway). I agree with him though. While I take nothing in as a factor when sifting through pages of shit music rags like Rolling Stone, it does get old seeing the same old bullshit about the same old bands all the time (ie: Dylan, Springsteen, U2, etc) and completely missing out on some other incredible music over the years. Sure, in a band's hey-day, Rolling Stone might mention them, but overall, it's a worthless rag and most of that business is now.

Sorry you feel shit on Joe, unfortunately you should be used to it by now.

ANF

Reaction score
I remember many years ago Kid Rock said "Def Leppard sucks" on something.... and all I could think of was pot calling the kettle black. Def Leppard made some classic material, Kid Rock was part of that rap/rock and nu-metal BS that almost destroyed rock radio.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I remember many years ago Kid Rock said "Def Leppard sucks" on something.... and all I could think of was pot calling the kettle black. Def Leppard made some classic material, Kid Rock was part of that rap/rock and nu-metal BS that almost destroyed rock radio.

That just proves Kid Rock is NOT rock. He's complete trash. Too bad his stage doesn't collapse with him under it. I live in Michigan, and we do NOT sing sweet home Alabama all night long. Kid rock grew up a rich hick who is from from Romeo but who tries to act like he's from the streets of Detroit. He's a complete joke--and one butt ugly dude.

Edited, LG.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Made some subtle changes to your post TC, but I do agree with most of what you said.(Not the part about the stage collapsing on him though.;))

I am not a Kid Rock fan, and if he slagged Def Leppard that's ridiculous and he has not earned the stature in music that they have.

However one thing I saw about him that I did respect was the attention to detail when he records, he's collected all kinds of old analog tape equipment for his home studio and records in analog then sends that to the label to be converted to digital.

Number of Kid Rock albums I own = 0.

Number of Def Leppard albums in the house...almost all of them, I'll have to check to make sure.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.