Decemberists (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Decemberists Thread

Well I just got done searching around and my local Best Buy does not carry Crane Wife but my local Barnes & Noble does :grinthumb

I try to check before I order and all that.

Also, it all sounds good, but it seems to me (so far) that Crane Wife would be the disc for me to start with. I see it's their 4th album and first on a major label. :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Big love for the Decemberists. The two albums I am most familiar with are Picaresque:

album-picaresque.jpg

And, as Sooty has already stated, The Hazards Of Love:

the_hazards_of_love_cover__resized_.jpg

On first listen of Picaresque, I absolutely fell in love with "The Bagman's Gambit", a 7 minute acoustic folk song with a very modern story attached to it. It is a striking mix of simple understated instrumentation, painfully emotional vocals and a story that belongs in a modern action movie. I was seriously channeling The Bourne Identity while reading! :heheh:

I also grew to like The Mariner's Revenge Song, a real epic sea shanty played with passion and accordions. As well as the other, shorter tracks being full of catchy melodies and lyrical brilliance it became a well listened to album for me.

The Hazards Of Love I first heard on a flight to England and because of the situation I couldn't fully grasp it. But after downloading it after I got home, it became another regular listen. Because it is a concept album, I only ever listen to it all at once, and some of my favourite sections would be all 4 parts of the title track, Won't Want For Love (Margaret In The Taiga) and The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid:

I am still getting familiar with the rest of The Decemberists' albums, but I thought I'd say my share about the two albums I love from them so far in my listening history! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Have to thank my old friend "El Mad Dog" for telling me about them almost 4 years ago.

I have Picaresque, The Crane Wife and The Hazards of Love, very good band and I hope they are around for a while.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cool LG, but now that we are all picking sides which album is actually your favorite? :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I guess if push comes to shove I would pick "The Crane Wife", as my favorite. It was the first CD I listened to and was a very pleasant surprise. I like all 3 albums though, the Decemberists could easily have been from the late 60's early 70's at least to my old ears they fit in with that era of music.;)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:grinthumb

I agree LG! I really do like them and am glad I started adding them to my collection. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I'm lovin' my copy of Crane Wife...can't wait to pick up my next one. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online