Decemberists (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
The Decemberists

the-decemberists.jpg

So I figured since this group was coming out with a new album (seemingly non-prog at that) that I would bust out an actual thread for these guys!!! My experience with this group is with falling in love with this album:

The Crane Wife

1711560308379.jpeg

Rite-Aid of all places was selling all their music off for like 5 bucks a pop and I had my friend pick this up on a whim. All I knew was their name and how all the magazines picked them as their critical darlings. That doesn't make quality or guarantee I'll like it but it did peak my curiosity. When I first bought the album I only played it through once to see if I could find the hook to get me into the album and it didn't happen. Little did I know that this album in particular definitely needed to be listened to from start to finish. It was a half year later before it got played again. I was getting a new roommate in my three bedroom apartment and therefore finally moved into the bigger room, took my c.d.s out of their totes and was organizing them. I saw "The Crane Wife' and said to myself "Why don't you give this c.d. another try while you are doing something that keeps you in one place". I did and I was blown away! :grinthumb This album is so epic with instruments and a style you wouldn't normally think of as epic. It also as the follow does add a bluesy element as well. From beginning to end this album grips me. I want more of this Folk Prog but I know nothing like it! One reason I haven't made this thread before now is "How do you sample a prog band and therefore what do I post for others?" These albums need to be experienced in full. My solution is this! I'm Going to post the first two songs (4 if you include that the second has three parts) back to back and hopefully that is the hook:

The Crane Wife 3
The Island:Come & See/The LandLords Daughter/You'll Not Feel The Drowning

I also like the followup album though not quite as well:

Hazards of Love

Once again the first few tracks:

The Hazards of Love 1 (The Prettiest Whistles Won't Wrestle The Thistles Undone)
A Bower Scene
Won't Want For Love (Margaret in the Taiga)

The new album seems like it's going to stray from the prog and go towards more Americana and I'm all for it. I love bands changing and trying everything out!

The King Is Dead

The%2BDecemberists.jpg

I really like the song I heard off of this album and want to purchase it ASAP :D:

Down By The Water

joe

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Decemberists Thread

I've been meaning to check these guys out. Good stuff Soot.:grinthumb

The three tracks from Hazards Of Love really caught my attention. Elements of prog/metal as well.

The other tracks are more folk prog/Americana/heartland sound that remind me of a great Canadian band Blue Rodeo. I definitely recommended them if you're looking for some other music to check out similar to The Decemberists though a bit more of country rock elements.

Another band you might want to check out is The Strawbs from the 70's. They had five excellent releases from '71-'75.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

That's cool that you like "Hazards of Love" Joe! I know Sal likes that one but I don't think he's heard "The Crane Wife" yet to make the comparison. I'll have to give "Hazards...." another spin since I may be biased and haven't listened to it nearly as much! :heheh:

I'll definitely check out those other bands and please to feel free to make threads for them if they aren't covered here yet! I love having a place to put my thoughts after I listen to something! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Well I finally get to sink my teeth a bit more into this band. I like what Joe likes but I'm really digging The Crane Wife and "You'll Not Feel The Drowning"

The prog elements are there no doubt. I may be picking up this title to add a bit of Decemberists to my crazy collection I like to call The Record Store...

:heheh:

Still listening now...good stuff and great photo also!! :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I have a record store too MP! :heheh: "You'll Not Feel The Drowning" is my favorite song too so I like how you picked that one! It sounds like a ballad from a long past era! Like a bard is singing it or something! It's a cool moody, melodic acoustic and then it becomes grand and orchestrated! His vocal is so unique in my opinion as well! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Agreed...I think I will be picking up the one disc I mentioned. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah I failed to realize they had that as one of their musical elements. :bonk:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

....but I lilke the folky aspect as well...love folk music/rock/metal...whatever folk is fused with.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I think that's why I liked it so much! Like folk never seemed to have a heavier tone it could pick up to but with this, Damien Rice and David Ford I've discovered it can go anywhere! Honestly since the 2,000's folk is just as high as Rock/Alternative is too me! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online