Decemberists (Official Thread)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Decemberists Thread

Long time fan of the Decemberists who are one of my top 3 bands that has come out since 2000. I first stumbled onto this band in the strangest of ways, a few nights before the show(Oct 03) I was talking to a friend who said her friends were playing a show and she thought I would like them so she put me on the guest list. When I got to the place (the mercury lounge) the line was long and the show said sold out. I was amazed only because I thought I was going to see a new band. Because I was on the guest list I walked up and in. When I got inside I realized the crowd was for the headliner some band I've never heard of called the Decemberists. My friends band played and I did like them but I was curious about the headliner. After the first song, Leslie Anne Levine, I was hooked.

I've seen them numerious times over the years and have been yelling and screaming about them to friends and message board groups ever since. I've got all their albums, the ep "The Tain" and quite a few live bootlegs.

Favorite album is Crane Wife but I like their entire catalog of albums. Their live show is not to be missed and if they do "the Mariner's Revenge song" be prepared to sway and act out the song with the audience and band.

A few shots from the AK archives:
3/04
833436279_ec22a7b65f.jpg

the night after Obama won the election

3006777917_16f8140bc6_z.jpg

3006779291_f1d17b92b4_z.jpg

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Awesome AK! Cool story! :) Never heard that song but it looks like a fun one to experience! Also glad there's another vote for "Crane Wife"! :grinthumb

mattquarterstein

Autumn Wanderer
Reaction score

First Decemberist song I heard was "Engine Driver" about 4 years ago. I thought they sounded like an Australian band, but they aint! I like their new song "Down By The Water", but I don't have any of their albums. Very casual listener of them. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

First Decemberist song I heard was "Engine Driver" about 4 years ago. I thought they sounded like an Australian band, but they aint! I like their new song "Down By The Water", but I don't have any of their albums. Very casual listener of them. :grinthumb

Just listened to:

Engine Driver

Good song! I gave "Picaresque" a run on Grooveshark but it didn't grab me like the other albums. may try it again though! :grinthumb

Their new song "Down By The Water" is really good though! It's a change for them from what I hear! :grinthumb

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Just listened to:

Engine Driver

Good song! I gave "Picaresque" a run on Grooveshark but it didn't grab me like the other albums. may try it again though! :grinthumb
I love Engine Driver they actually have been playing it live since 2003 two years before it came out on album. Picaresque is another good album but at one time wasn't as big on it but it has some real jems.

joe

Reaction score

My first listen to The Hazards Of Love. Very impressed. A lot of elements that appeal to me. Beautifully done. Need a few more listens to go into any detail.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

New album comes out in a couple days and i've already got it pre-ordered. I'm more than excited to hear how it is.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I picked up "The King Is Dead" last night, I'm looking forward to checking it out.:D

76clementmarfo-web.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.