Cover songs that are substantially better than the original

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Cover song that are substantially better than the original

^^LG is fine Cream'd.

I have no problem with anyone saying what they think as long as they don't insult anyone personally while expressing themselves, that is what the forum is for.

However, some people I have run into since I've been doing this never have anything positive to say about anything, except their own little microcosm of bands artists that they like and they take umbrage whenever someone criticizes them for any reason. I'm not saying you are one of those kind of posters but that kind of negative approach wears on me rather fast. If someone writes a thread about a band I don't like, the most I will do is compliment them on a well written OP and say I am not a fan and move on.

As far as the song you posted, I think Zeppelin has done better covers of many old blues songs than the originals, and I have no doubt some people will jump in and remind us about the controversy concerning their debut not crediting the authors until later pressings were released.

CREAM'd

Reaction score

A negative approach would wear thin on me also,i try to inject a bit of sarcasm/humor into most of my posts(something that some people dont pick up on,i'm not saying you're one of those people). I listen to a lot of different music and can appreciate most kinds,but 90% of what i listen to is Classic Rock(the usual stuff,Dylan,Cream,Deep Purple,Hendrix,The Who,Beatles,Sabbath,ACDC,Led Zep,Stones) its what led me to this forum,to talk about classic rock with other classic rock listeners. The fact that there are discussions on other types of music and bands(some,i've never even heard of),i see that as a major bonus.

gguerra

Reaction score

Here's a couple of good ones

Rosalie

Original by Bob Seger

Cover by Thin Lizzy

"Blinded by the Light"

Original by Bruce Springsteen

Cover by Manfred Mann

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Very interesting covers for sure. (This would be their covers of With God On Our Side & I'm Only Sleeping.) What is it about these covers that appeal to you more?

Thanks dude for given a constructive venue for discussing where I'm coming from. First off I never said I didn't like the group/artist that originally sang each song. I never said I didn't like their version on the songs. Some people get defensive and think preferring a cover is a major disrespect to an artist but I think most musicians get it. There are versions that fall under different preferences and their's been many times when a cover is actually very respected by the original artist because the artist covering it brought it to a different place.

When I heard With God On Our Side as a cover I didn't even know it was originally a Dylan song. I heard it on the Straylight Run EP as the last song and the song gave me chills. I looked at the liner notes and saw that Bob Dylan was the original writer. I remember thinking that this was the first song lyrically I could get into as far as Dylan songs. It moved me to pick up the only Dylan disc I have to this day. I picked up the Dylan EP Live At Carnegie 1963 because it had this song on it. It only cost me a penny but that's another story altogether.

Anyway, I like the original fine but I guess I was spoiled by the much fuller sound in the cover. I just didn't get the chills from the acoustic/ harmonica combo of Dylan vs. the piano guided duet styled version of Straylight Run! It just felt like an anthem which did justice to the historical content and message of the song. When the vocals come together to harmonize it just gives me goosebumps! That's why I prefer it! Simplicity is good but sometimes having layers of instrumentation and vocals come together works on such a higher level IMO.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

As far as the cover of The Beatles this is one I heard that I hadn't heard the original before but when I heard it on Straylight Runs rare 3 song EP I could tell it was a Beatles song! I got excited as it had a great sound! A very, poppy, bouncy sound! When I bought some Beatles albums to try to get into them deeper I picked Revolver as amongst other reasons it had this song. I'll be honest! A lot of Revolver I liked! In fact, Eleanor Rigby has soared to my favorite status for Beatles tracks! Really never realized how beautiful and addictive it was until now. When I heard I'm Only Sleeping I felt deflated though. It was the most nasally Beatles vocals that I've heard. Really hated the solo vocals. The harmonies were good. Some things really sounding out of place like they were mixed weird. Is it possibly the remastered versions that are like that? That backwards guitar effect really annoyed me. It was creative but not aesthetically pleasing. I prefer the acoustic cover that kept the fun catchy melody of the song with a better mix and more straightforward approach.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Here's one I actually doubt that people will disagree that the cover is better! Seriously, I don't care if you think both suck but tell me if you actually think the original is better! :heheh: Credit to the original for setting the groundwork but I LOVE the cover! :grinthumb

Rose Royce-Love Don't Live Here Anymore (original)

City and Colour-Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I also prefer this cover highly over the original!

Radiohead-Idioteque (original)

Obadiah Parker-Idioteque (cover)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online