Cosmic's Top 27 Songs of 2011

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Before getting to the top five I'd like to spend a little time with the a number of songs that for one reason or another just didn't manage to make the official countdown...

Black Water Rising
Artist: Stonefield

Stonefield is a kickass rock band made up of young sisters who I think should have a very bright future ahead of them in Australia and if it was at all possible for any rock band that isn't AC/DC to reach the States they'd do very well here too. "Black Water Rising" showcases their ballsy, very retro brand of rock music that could make itself quite at home among the likes of Grace Potter.

Where Are You (I Am Already Gone)
Artist: Kate Tucker

Beautiful and gentle is Kate Tucker's "Where Are You (I Am Already Gone)". She is songwriter from my native Ohio and she writes very introspective songs that really play on the heartstrings of her listeners. Also the female/male vocal harmonies in the chorus remind me a lot of The Civil Wars.

House
Artist: Ben Folds Five

"House" is the first new song from Ben Folds Five in over ten years and it's absolutely great. If I didn't know better though I would think it's just one of Ben's solo songs though what with the strong emphasis on lushness instead of just piano, vocals, bass, and drums like the groups earlier recordings. Not that that is really a bad thing though because I love just about everything Ben does regardless. ;)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
And a continuation of my last post....

Well, OK Honey
Jenny O.

This is a kind of wonky song that's along the lines of something I could see Beck doing. Highlighted by well harmonized female vocals, a strolling bass line, and jangly, staccato guitar playing (I particularly like the simple solos) "Well, OK Honey" by Jenny O. is a just a very easy going, unique sounding song.

Invisible
Skylar Grey

Grammy nominated singer, songwriter Skylar Grey steps out from behind the scenes with her first major solo release "Invisible". It's modern, it's spacey, it's personal, and I think it's a very pretty song with lyrics that are very easy to identify with. I'm really looking forward to her solo debut after hearing this song.

Far From Heaven
Dream Theater

I was mostly disappointed with the latest Dream Theater album but nestled inside of it is one of the simplest and shortest songs of their whole career, "Far From Heaven". James really has room to show off how beautiful his voice is in this very stripped down song that only has piano and strings in it. What really made this song catch my ear was the lyrics. They connect with me on a very intimate level....

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Black Water Rising
Artist: Stonefield

Stonefield is a kickass rock band made up of young sisters who I think should have a very bright future ahead of them in Australia and if it was at all possible for any rock band that isn't AC/DC to reach the States they'd do very well here too. "Black Water Rising" showcases their ballsy, very retro brand of rock music that could make itself quite at home among the likes of Grace Potter.

I'm not usually keen on all women groups but these girls really know how to ROCK!! They have a great 70's feel going on too :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
And my last detour before getting to the creme de la creme of the whole kit-n-kabootle, the songs that I unfortunately overlooked and SHOULD have made my countdown and where they would have landed in hindsight.

Lost Weekend
Art Brut
Would rank at #18

Sorry folks but I have to bring attention to yet another fun indie song. This time it's the very Bowie inspired "Lost Weekend" by Art Brut. Stylistically it's very similar to early 80's, Scary Monster/Let's Dance era Bowie and is just an enjoyable song about getting drunk and losing your weekend. One thing in particular that makes this song very interesting and hooky is that the singer might actually have a slight lisp similar to Joe Strummer and for whatever reason I find that really appealing to listen to. Yes, I know I'm just weird like that.

Lady Marlene
Katzenjammer
Would rank at #16

These colorful ladies are Katzenjammer and I have grown quite smitten by their music over the last couple months. Usually when describing this group to my friends I tell them it's like Gogol Bordello with all girls and funneled through pop instead of punk and even then they are one of the most perplexing mixes of music I've ever heard. Combining strong pop sensibilities and melodies with traditional folk and unusual instruments they somehow pull off what it is they are trying to achieve. In "Lady Marlene" you have a waltz, piano, xylophone bells, the banjo, and tight harmonies. I don't know how they do it but somehow something like that, which seems preposterous in theory, translates so well musically and it stretches my already vast musical scope to areas of beautiful exploration.

Please Believe Me
The Grand Magnolias
Would rank at #11

This past year's American Idol had more unique singers in the finals that caught my ear than ever before. The more unique and charismatic out of the whole bunch was Paul McDonald. He ended coming in 8th so in the grand scheme of things he did very well but that still isn't high enough for most people to pay attention to him which is a crying shame. In terms of the type of music he played and amount of character he had in his voice he is probably my favorite.
Before idol he was in a band named The Grand Magnolias and they released their self titled, independently released album last year. The whole album is a very roots, folk, bluesy kind of rock record that is very much reminds of Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story", which is no coincidence as Paul performed "Maggie May" not once but three times on Idol (once for his initial audition, again in the top 24, and one last time as his farewell performance at Jennifer Lopez's request). The whole album is fantastic and a definite album to check out for Idol fans and classic rockers alike. The standout track for me is the final song on the album "Please Believe Me". It has tempo changes, dynamic changes, and is so sweet and sincere sounding.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
5943387261_3670fb9230.jpg

I Won't Know You Anymore
Artist: Felix Riebl
Album: Into The Rain

And I won't know you anymore
and I won't know you anymore
and I won't know you anymore,
because I'm walking out the door,
and I won't call you anymore.

And I was often in my head
and I was often in my head
and I was often in my head,
there were words I never said,
and there were words I never said.

And we were holding onto dust
and we were holding onto dust
and we were holding onto dust,
I guess the wind was envious,
I guess the wind was envious.

Were we hypnotized?
I could have filled a cloudless sky,
with all the tears I never cried.

And when you ask me who I am
and when you ask me who I am
and when you ask me who I am,
then I reply "the other man",
then I reply "the other man".

Yet I will own the streets tonight,
yet I will own the streets tonight,
yet I will own the streets tonight,
as the falling satellites
come crashing, at my side.

Were we hypnotized?
I could have filled a cloudless sky,
with all the tears I never cried.
Were we hypnotized?
or were we strangers in our eyes?
or were we strangers in our eyes?

Somehow only one Australian act ended up making my official countdown despite me often claiming that Australia has the greatest music scene in the world right now. That one act is a whopper though, the renown Felix Riebl of Cat Empire fame.
Originally Felix Riebl's solo project was billed as "Felix Riebl and The Crashing Waters" but for whatever reason it eventually shorted to just Felix's name by the time the "Into The Rain" album was released (and that album was really hard for me to buy and it's the most I've ever payed for a single CD).
Felix is actually a very talented singer and lyricist that the repetition of this song's lyrics might eclipse but I think that it fits absolutely perfect into the music, which is the real highlight of the song. This song is all about build. It starts off with quiet whistling and eventually builds into a thunder of drums and piano. What I think is the most important thing about this song though is the expert use of the steel guitar, which is usually an instrument most at home in country music. The steel guitar really helps to set a mood and create some added atmosphere in a similar way to how David Gilmour has used it over his career, particularly on his "On An Island" record. The gentle cries it makes throughout the song echo the singing of whales at sea and as the song builds the instrument reaches it's highest points and are vital to the climax of the song.

When listening to "I Won't Know You Anymore" I can just envision someone standing at the edge of the ocean, making up the words they're singing as they go along and listening to the songs of humpback whales in the distance before getting caught in a rainstorm and letting it wash over them and cleansing them of their worries.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Heard a lot about that guy between you and Soots, Cosmic. :D That's a pretty great song I think it was put into a poll of some sort and I gave it a listen and enjoyed it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Twas put in a poll! Sooty put together a bunch of retro sounding songs that people had recommended to him some time late last year and Felix was one of the four. That song also made his countdown. ;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online