Where do I begin?
I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough?
Where do I begin?

I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough?

Every album the Foo Fighters put out has that one epic, unbelievably good rock song on it that stands out from the others and for "Wasting Light" that song is it's closer, "Walk". It follows the same formula that the band has been using for years but is done so well that it still feels perfectly fresh and really shows off Dave's ability as a songwriter. Soaring over the roaring guitar and pounding drums is my favorite part of the song, the lyrics (which is why I added them and I might do from here on out), which Dave delivers so strongly. It's very uplifting and when we reach the point in the bridge where he is screaming out "I never wanna die" over and over I get chills ever time.

Also, as with all of the Foos' videos it's effing hilarious, I didn't post that though because it's a bit distracting from the song. ;)

I forgot to add this when I was mentioning my favourites off your countdown list :bonk: I have never really been that into the Foo's - they've done a few tracks that I like but that's about it - but I think this song is great :grinthumb Oh and I'll have to check the video out :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Cosmic, I'll pick up where I left off! First, you picked another song that'll be on my list in "Walk" where once again I'll have to follow up on your verbage. Booooo!!! :tongue: Excellent pick obviously! :cheers2 I picked a different Adele song than you but obviously you made a wise choice as most people seem drawn to that song and deservedly so.

One thing I have to comment on is your list is so much more vibrant and happy than mine. You are far more poptastic than me right now and that's a kudos coming from me. Givers and Gomez are excellent tracks. I love them and there exuberant qualities. Should expect that from a gal that shares interest in the Scissor Sisters, The Darkness, The New Radicals and Matt and Kim.

Have to say on the negative front that I enjoy the Lady Gaga song just fine but that's the biggest album where nothing made my list. I appreciate the change in style but nothing really grabbed me as fun like the last. My least favorite song on your countdown is The Black Keys. Nothing I've heard from them stands out to me honestly. I don't follow the appeal.

The winner of this batch is Tom Waits though. I don't know why but it sounds like either Modest Mouse slowed down to me or a Tim Burton animated character singing (or two as he changes vocals like it's too different characters). It's a psychotic song but it draws you into it's madness. I love the rhythm in which the sax and guitar are used. It's crazy but more insane how it all works. :cheers2

And you were sooooo sure that we wouldn't have a couple songs in common. Told ja. Knowing you I bet I could guess which Adele song you went with. :D

Well I enjoy all sorts of moods but I just don't have as strong of a love for the melancholy as you do. ;) I hadn't exactly planned on choosing so many happy songs. It just happened to be a really strong year for indie music and that's a very brightly colored genre of music. I'm glad you loved the Gomez and GIVERS songs though. :)

It's no big deal that you don't have Gaga on you're list, Sooty. I can't say that I would put any of the other songs on "Born this Way" anywhere near my list. I was pretty underwhelmed by that album as a whole. I just really love the "Bennie and the Jets" groove of "You and I". As for the Black Keys....I think people are making a WAY bigger deal out of them than they need to be, and this is coming from someone who got into them at the song "Thickfreakness" ages ago.

I forget, have you gotten into Tom's more experimental stuff yet or have you only listened to his first couple, piano based albums? Because if you haven't then I think "Bad As Me" would be a good album to start with since it's the highest charting album of his 40 year career and is being called one of the best albums of the year by more than a couple magazines and music sites. Just saying..... ;)

I forgot to add this when I was mentioning my favourites off your countdown list :bonk: I have never really been that into the Foo's - they've done a few tracks that I like but that's about it - but I think this song is great :grinthumb Oh and I'll have to check the video out :)

Generally speaking, if you've heard one Foo Fighters song you've kind of heard them all so a couples tracks is kind of all you need, Tray. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
OldNick.png

Float
Artist: Old Nick

I know of her face from my sleep
From my most favorite dreams
We meet as my body retreats
I'm the most charming that I've ever been

Please keep my under
For one more brace
For one small moment
For one more embrace

So I go through my colorless days
Just mindlessly wilting away
And I desperately wait for the night
For the girl with the most beautiful eyes

Please pull me under
For one more brace
For one small moment
For one more embrace

I have finally built up the nerves
To be brave and solemnly dive into her
As I stand where the ground meets the sky
Gazing down with a grin I declare my goodbye

Please keep me under
For one more brace
For one small moment
For one more embrace

Here I will float away in faith
I'll float into you

Old Nick is an alternative band from Woodbridge, New Jersey and literally the newest and most unheard of band to make my list. I'm talking...."less than 700 people follow their Facebook page and their debut album just came out 2 days ago" levels of new and unheard of-ness. Last year the put out a three songs though and one of them found it's way to SPIN magazine which is where they caught my attention. That song was "Float" and this band of rookies managed to just edge out the widely successful and critically acclaimed veterans that are the Foo Fighters and Tom Waits on my list. Talk about an upset and I assure you it was a completely justified one.
What first caught my attention with "Float" was the 2/3 time signature, which is a time signature that I have always loved. If it's a faster passed song then it sort of gallops along and if it's slower like this one then it waltzes, which fits perfectly for the dark story of infatuation and seduction that this song has. At any speed though it makes the song feel like it moves and goes somewhere and this one indeed does. It initially seems to be quite a beautiful love but as it progresses the narrator gets addicted to the girl he sees in his dreams and she inevitably lures him into committing suicide in hopes that they could be together forever like some manner of a nocturnal siren.
The feelings of pain the narrator experiences while awake and limitless bliss once asleep is enforced by musical shifts from the band in the choruses and verses in a way that reminds me a lot of the band mewithoutYou.
In conclusion....look out for this band in the future because I predict good things for them. ;)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e4001d0e970b-800wi.jpg

Love & Hard Times
Artist: Paul Simon
Album: So Beautiful or So What

God and His only Son
Paid a courtesy call on Earth
One Sunday morning
Orange blossoms opened their fragrant lips
Songbirds sang from the tips of Cottonwoods
Old folks wept for His love in these hard times

"Well, we got to get going," said the restless Lord to the Son
"There are galaxies yet to be born
Creation is never done
Anyway, these people are slobs here
If we stay it's bound to be a mob scene
But, disappear, and it's love and hard times"

I loved her the first time I saw her
I know that's an old songwriting cliché
Loved you the first time I saw you
Can't describe it any other way
Any other way

The light of her beauty was warm as a summer day
Clouds of antelope rolled by
No hint of rain to come in the prairie sky
Just love, love, love, love, love

When the rains came, the tears burned, windows rattled, locks turned
It's easy to be generous when you're on a roll
It's hard to be grateful when you're out of control
And love is gone

The light at the edge of the curtain
Is the quiet dawn
The bedroom breathes
In clicks and clacks
Uneasy heartbeat, can't relax
But then your hand takes mine
Thank God, I found you in time
Thank God, I found you
Thank God, I found you

Oh Paul Simon...this man is a national treasure. Now more than 40 years into his solo career Paul is still putting out magical songs and continues to show just why he is one of the greatest lyricists and songwriters in all of music.
Nestled cozily in the bosom of his critically acclaimed "So Beautiful or So What" album is the breath taking "Love & Hard Times". The music has a great deal of fluid changes, is very free feeling, and features gentle flutters of flutes, shifts from piano to acoustic guitar, and a subtle lushness from a small string section that create a mood that just makes me want to close my eyes and let my mind wander in the scenes Paul describes, which has always been my favorite thing about his songs.
The lyrics manifest themselves into a beautiful narrative that makes strong use of idealism and imagery to create a very vivid series of scenes. The scope of the themes in this song really shows the wisdom Paul has gained with his age. Things like the "old song writing cliche" of love at first site, only needing God when you're down and out, and what the state of Earth must look like from heaven are all touched on quite concisely and yet still so tenderly in this four minute song. The way he was able to cover so much so beautifully in such a short amount of time is absolutely astounding to me.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
123-New-Heaven-300x300.jpg

Work
Artist: 1,2,3
Album: New Heaven

God knows how I go and take it so hard
Why he left driving in his crystal clear car
The age of Sinatra still exists in some bars
I’ve been working with my hand so far

I work, I work, I work, I work,
For you, for you, for you, for you
I work, I work, I work,
If you work too, for you, for you, for you

Gold card, platinum card, plastic card too
I don’t really give a damn about you
I keep all my earnings in a box marked shoes
I’ll drywall heaven ’fore I give you proof

I work, I work, I work
For you, for you

Once more, that I will say to you
It’s a good work, it’s true
Once one, that I will say to you
And it’s a good work, it’s true
One more, that I will say to you
And it’s a good work, it’s true.

That's right boys and girls, another practically unheard band. This time in the form of 1,2,3 (incidentally one of the most unimpressive band names I've ever heard).
I loved the song "Work" from the very first time I heard it. From the Asian sounding guitar riff to the hookiness of the chorus to the way the guitar and cello blend together at times it all just works in a very good way. There is a flow to this song that reminds me of the singalong way old folk songs are put together so that they can easily be sang while working in manual labor. My absolute favorite thing about this song however is the vocals. I love them. There is an untrained sort of distinction to how the singer does what he does that kind of reminds me of how someone like Iggy Pop or Bob Dylan stylize their singing. The snarly sounding normal register up into the shaky high notes all fit into the song and compliment it so well.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
123-New-Heaven-300x300.jpg

Work
Artist: 1,2,3
Album: New Heaven

God knows how I go and take it so hard
Why he left driving in his crystal clear car
The age of Sinatra still exists in some bars
I’ve been working with my hand so far

I work, I work, I work,

Gold card, platinum card, plastic card too
I don’t really give a damn about you
I keep all my earnings in a box marked shoes
I’ll drywall heaven ’fore I give you proof

I work, I work, I work
For you, for you

Once more, that I will say to you
Once one, that I will say to you
And it’s a good work, it’s true
And it’s a good work, it’s true.

That's right boys and girls, another practically unheard band. This time in the form of 1,2,3 (incidentally one of the most unimpressive band names I've ever heard).
I loved the song "Work" from the very first time I heard it. From the Asian sounding guitar riff to the hookiness of the chorus to the way the guitar and cello blend together at times it all just works in a very good way. There is a flow to this song that reminds me of the singalong way old folk songs are put together so that they can easily be sang while working in manual labor. My absolute favorite thing about this song however is the vocals. I love them. There is an untrained sort of distinction to how the singer does what he does that kind of reminds me of how someone like Iggy Pop or Bob Dylan stylize their singing. The snarly sounding normal register up into the shaky high notes all fit into the song and compliment it so well.

I really like that song in particular. Could easily comment on the others but this deserves an immediate response! Good find! :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Thanks Sooty. I scoured a lot of cracks and crevasses for great songs like "Work". Further proof to people that great music is out there, you just have to work a bit harder to flush it out of hiding. ;)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The-Civil-Wars-Barton-Hollow-Lyrics.jpg

Barton Hollow
Artist: The Civil Wars
Album: Barton Hollow

I'm a dead man walking here
But that's the least of all my fears
Ooh, underneath the water

It's not Alabama clay
That gives my trembling hands away
Please forgive me father

Ain't going back to Barton Hollow
Devil gonna follow me e'er I go
Won't do me no good washing in the river
Can't no preacher man save my soul

Did that full moon force my hand?
Or that un marked hundred grand?
Ooh, underneath the water
Please forgive me father

Miles and miles in my bare feet
Still can't lay me down to sleep
If I die before I wake
I know the Lord my soul won't take

I'm a dead man walking
I'm a dead man walking

Keep walking and running and running for miles

Ain't going back to Barton Hollow
Devil gonna follow me e'er I go
Won't do me no good washing in the river
Can't no preacher man save my soul

Steeped in the influence of ol' Americana folk we have The Civil Wars' "Barton Hollow". You do not get much rootsier or raw than this song. With the jangling of Jon Paul White's guitar it makes me imagine the rhythmic stomping of a chain gang from the age of the dustbowl marching along, which is the perfect sort of sound you what considering the condemnation of one's mortal soul that is expressed in the lyrics. It's the perfect kind of tandem you want to find in a song lyrically and musically. This forms the backbone of the song with the vocals taking center stage as there is a great deal of magic you hear when Joy Williams and John Paul sing together. From their solo parts it's more than evident that they are accomplished singers in their own rights but together they just make absolutely gorgeous harmony where the sum of the parts is somehow even better than the parts themselves, which is saying a lot.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I know I've been quiet and not posted on this thread for a couple of weeks, but just to let you know I am following it :)

I've never heard of Old Nick before but if the song you've posted is anything to go by I see them featuring in my music collection! I definitely want to check out more of their songs, so I'll be looking them up!

I had my interest in The Civil Wars pricked when I spotted them on Sooty's Coutdownmania thread doing a Smashing Pumpkins cover. Checking out the thread for them here I discovered a few tracks I really like and one of them is Barton Hollow :grinthumb I applaud your description of the song - you have it spot on!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm in no way shocked that you've never heard of Old Nick, Tray. As I said they are very new. You actually can download a couple of their songs for free of their Facebook if you'd like. https://www.facebook.com/oldnickmusic

I really wish The Civil Wars had done more songs like "Barton Hollow" on their debut album. Almost all of the songs on that album are very quiet and somber but that track is dark and strong and goes somewhere that I don't feel the others do.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.