Cosmic's 50 Top Singers Ever

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Prince
prince1309_468x466.jpg

If you mix Michael Jackson, Little Richard, and Jimi Hendrix then you concocted Prince, the funkiest, soulful, and rocking individual to ever come out of Minnesota. Now I'm aware that Prince doesn't exactly have a fan club around our forum but I am blown away by this man's voice. He has soul to his voice, he has swagger to his voice, he has this deep love making way of singing that you'd never expect out of someone as small as him, his itsy bitsy way of singing in falsetto, and then his high notes....oh his high notes...they are almost unmatchable. He can hit them with this gorgeous crystal clear tone and at the flip of a switch he can unleash one of the best screams I've ever heard. Prince is such an emotionally driven singer regardless of which emotion he's conveying and he is so incredibly versatile that I don't think he gets acknowledged enough for his singing ability (or guitar playing for that matter).

The Beautiful Ones

There apparently aren't a whole lot of videos of Prince performing live out there so for only the second time my highlight track will have to be a studio recording.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
omigod omigod omigoddddd.

I adore Prince.

I played his music so much when I was younger that it pissed my parents off (to the point where they probably still flinch when they hear "When Doves Cry").

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The Beautiful Ones... :bow:

What a great GREAT track! A good example showing differing levels of diversity in his singing style(s) in the same song. I've always love this song since I first heard it back in '84. For me, the best part of the song is the raw emotion he puts into it starting around the 3:20 mark (or thereabout). Bluesy, soulful, very heartfelt. There aren't a lot of songs that I think I can truly feel what the artist is trying to convey in the way I think I can feel it in that tune.

Great addition to your list Cosmic.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
omigod omigod omigoddddd.

I adore Prince.

I played his music so much when I was younger that it pissed my parents off (to the point where they probably still flinch when they hear "When Doves Cry").

Maybe you're not just like your mother. ;)

The Beautiful Ones... :bow:

What a great GREAT track! A good example showing differing levels of diversity in his singing style(s) in the same song. I've always love this song since I first heard it back in '84. For me, the best part of the song is the raw emotion he puts into it starting around the 3:20 mark (or thereabout). Bluesy, soulful, very heartfelt. There aren't a lot of songs that I think I can truly feel what the artist is trying to convey in the way I think I can feel it in that tune.

Great addition to your list Cosmic.

Oh I agree 100%. I actually heard "Purple Rain" in chucks because I kept catching the movie on VH1 Classic but never actually saw it in it's completion so somehow "The Beautiful Ones" ended being the last song I heard off of that album and I remember the last two minutes (or at 3:20) just blowing me away with how raw they were. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Matthew Bellamy
article-1046209-024ED3E100000578-806_233x423_popup.jpg

Matthew Bellamy is one of the most talented singers to make a name for himself over the last decade (or so). With a voice that ranges from 1 all the way to 11 he covers all of the bases. He has a very full chest voice, a powerful head voice, crystal clear falsetto, and can belt with the best of them. That means that Matthew can hit practically any note on the map with gusto. What's more that unlike many singers who can hit high notes so well he doesn't saturate that trait in his voice and spends a good amount of time in a lower ranger which makes his high notes stand out all that much more when he goes into falsetto.

Showbiz (Live)

Tray will be happy to see this inclusion when she gets back. :D

I've just spotted this Cosmic!!! Well what can I say? :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: recurring!!! You have excellent taste my good lady :grinthumb Matthew's voice literally sends shivers down my spine, especially when he's hitting those highest of high notes - like on the track you posted, Showbiz, I just adore it beyond words! His voice is just as good live too, I've never heard him sing a duff note yet. Definitely my favourite singer by far (somehow I bet you already guessed that!!), and I'm chuffed to bits to see him included in your top singers ever list :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I knew you'd be tickled pink to see Matthew in here, Tray. :D He's one of very few singers on my list that made name for themselves in the 2000's. If I'm not mistaken "Showbiz" is the highest note he's ever hit actually and I was skeptical of his ability to hit it live but much to my delight he is more than capable. :good

(Also I can hit that note too, just a little tid bit. ;))

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I have Justin Hawkins to thank the most for expanding my vocal range to what it is now. ;)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Otis Redding
otis%20redding%2004.jpg

There isn't much I really need to say about the King of Soul, Otis Redding, and that is not because there isn't a lot to say but because listening to him is the only way to truly appreciate this uncut, uncompromising, emotion fraught vocals. Otis was without a doubt one of the most capable singers of his time.

Try a Little Tenderness (Live)

Otis's biggest hit came out one month after his death....one has to wonder what more he could have done....

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Billy Joel
hypnosis_training_billy_joel.jpg

And now we've come to the Piano Man, Billy Joel. Billy is to me the pretty voice of the common man. On the surface he has an nice voice but as you listen to more of his work and dig deeper into his catalog it becomes increasingly more apparent that his "nice" voice is the kind of voice that is realistic. The kind that sounds great but isn't so amazing that it sets an unrealistic standard of excellence. Mr. Joel's voice is clear, rich, and has the ability to add just the right about of grit when he needs it.

My Life (Live)

On top of everything else Billy's voice has aged wonderfully.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.