Cosmic's 50 Top Singers Ever

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Janis Joplin
Janis-Joplin-Posters.jpg

After a long time coming we have finally arrived at my favorite female singer, the incomparable Janis Joplin. While other female singers of her day were focuses on sounding pretty and presentable Janis' only aim seemed to be screaming her pain away. Because of that Janis does one thing better than I feel anyone has ever done and that is channeling her emotions. When she sang it cut you to the core and you could feel all of the frustration and sadness that she was releasing from deep down inside of her. In addition to her heavily expressive singing style Janis also understood and loved the blues far more than I think a lot of people can imagine.

To Love Somebody (Live)

I believe Janis said it best herself that she may not always sound great but she never holds anything back.

(8,000th post by the way)​

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Janis Joplin
Janis-Joplin-Posters.jpg

After a long time coming we have finally arrived at my favorite female singer, the incomparable Janis Joplin. While other female singers of her day were focuses on sounding pretty and presentable Janis' only aim seemed to be screaming her pain away. Because of that Janis does one thing better than I feel anyone has ever done and that is channeling her emotions. When she sang it cut you to the core and you could feel all of the frustration and sadness that she was releasing from deep down inside of her. In addition to her heavily expressive singing style Janis also understood and loved the blues far more than I think a lot of people can imagine.

To Love Somebody (Live)

I believe Janis said it best herself that she may not always sound great but she never holds anything back.

(8,000th post by the way)​

JANIS!!! :bow::bow::bow:

She had such presence! And her voice... so soulful and robust, it sends shivers down my spine!

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Cannot disagree with Matt Bellamy either! Muse is one of the only newer bands that I listen to.

... and Billy Joel?! :bow::bow::bow: He's been a part of my life since childhood!

I'm digging this list Cosmic!!! :grinthumb:grinthumb:grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
JANIS!!! :bow::bow::bow:

She had such presence! And her voice... so soulful and robust, it sends shivers down my spine!

Yes, mine too. Another thing that I didn't mention (which I probably don't need to) was that Janis is instantly recognizable. :grinthumb

Cannot disagree with Matt Bellamy either! Muse is one of the only newer bands that I listen to.

... and Billy Joel?! :bow::bow::bow: He's been a part of my life since childhood!

I'm digging this list Cosmic!!! :grinthumb:grinthumb:grinthumb

I'm glad you're digging it, Lady Barrett. We're in the final stretch (this has taken way long than I thought it would) with only three singers left to go to fill out the 50. ;)

ecisgod

Reaction score
I know I was surprised by that too. Michael Stipe is similiar. You'd think he'd have a nasally speaking voice but he's hardly spoke above a whisper anytime I've ever heard him speak.

Chris Cornell
chris-cornell.jpg

Oh what can I say about Chris Cornell that hasn't been said already? Not a whole lot honestly. First and foremost Chris Cornell is one of the best screamers in all of music. That's not to say that he screams all the time but when he does it just gives me chills. There is also his very recognizable tone and strong delivery to each note, which of course is used much more than any screams. Now what I think is perhaps the most impressive about his is that not only did he have a great voice when he came onto the scene back in the early 90's with Temple of the Dog but he has stayed consistent throughout all of the years and bands he's played in since. Very commendable.

Imagine (Live)

I honestly like Chris' rendition of "Imagine" here more than the original.

Great list so far Cosmic....Really like that Cornell made your list. I absolutely love his raspy voice. I just recently saw him live in Toronto at a very small venue. Amazing,it was the first time I saw him live (solo) and he did not dissapoint. His voice was probably better live than on the album! Unbelievable! One of the best shows of seen this year! Strongly thinking about going to another show in the U.S. for this tour - just Chris and a bunch of acoustic guitars performing Soundgard,Audioslave,Temple of the Dog and Solo material with some great covers like: Thank you (zep),Imagine (Lennon),State Trooper (springsteen),and others....

:cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Great list so far Cosmic....Really like that Cornell made your list. I absolutely love his raspy voice. I just recently saw him live in Toronto at a very small venue. Amazing,it was the first time I saw him live (solo) and he did not dissapoint. His voice was probably better live than on the album! Unbelievable! One of the best shows of seen this year! Strongly thinking about going to another show in the U.S. for this tour - just Chris and a bunch of acoustic guitars performing Soundgard,Audioslave,Temple of the Dog and Solo material with some great covers like: Thank you (zep),Imagine (Lennon),State Trooper (springsteen),and others....

:cheers2

That sounds like it would be a great concert to go to. I get a feeling that Chris's live shows have a folksy vibe to them because of the acoustic guitars and everything (which incidentally would just make his voice the strongest focal point of the music). :good

So many great singers here Harmony and I love that you included Otis Redding :)

I just has to include Otis. I think he tends to get forgotten about these days and that's a crime because he really is just such a great singer.

Since I only have three singers left to post would anyone care to share who they think they should/will be? :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Karen Carpenter
carpenterdrumming.jpg

Very likely the most clear vocalist on this list we not have reached Karen Carpenter. I doubt Karen's voice could have extended beyond her very smooth vocals but that doesn't matter because her voice is one of the purest in music. When describing Karen's voice people often call her's the voice of an angel and with it being as golden as it is I'd say that it's the best possible description you can make for such a tender voice.

Close to You (Live)

Does anyone else find it funny that Karen is following Janis Joplin on this list when they couldn't possible be at more opposite ends of the singing spectrum? :heheh:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
ohgodthankyousomuch.

I could spend 30 years trying to find the right words to describe how much I love Karen and her pristine voice. Sometimes, it makes me cry. And sometimes, it delights me to the point where I could potentially cry, but somehow I don't.

I just love her so much.

(And that is pretty funny, actually. From Janis to Karen. Jeeez, girl.)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Glenn Hughes
glenn_hughes08d.jpg

We're a tad overdue for a kickass hard rock and/or metal singer aren't we? Well Glenn Hughes will remedy that in a flash. Now for anyone who's heard Glenn sing I shouldn't have to tell you that he has a powerful voice and fantastic range but for those of you who haven't heard him already...reread what I just wrote and before moving on so that you've been thoroughly told. ;)
Aside from his range and power though (which are common themes among many of the entrants on my list) Glenn is a very soulful and passionate singer (also common themes) and how effortlessly singing comes for him is beyond astonishing. He really is just an absolute nature and has only gotten better with age. What's more is that he has the tone and talent to absolutely shame most R&B artists at their own game (as you can hear in the video I provide below, particularly at the beginning) which is not something you really find in any other hard rock singer.

Medusa (Live)

When I was putting this list together Glenn was actually the last one I added because I nearly forgot about him. I'm glad that I didn't.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online