Child in Time or Stairway to Heaven?

Child in Time or Stairway to Heaven?

• Total voters

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Stairway for me. I find Child in Time to be VASTLY overrated. While Stairway has been overplayed for ages, the buildup to the solo, the solo itself and the post-solo vocals is among Zepp's best work.

Child in Time...

I have heard Stairway to Heaven so many times that I feel nauseous when I hear it. Not a bad song at all though.

Stairway to Heaven

Being a huge Purple fan, you'd think I'd automatically choose Child in Time, truth is, I'm not a huge fan of this song. I'm going with Stairway.

Same for me. :cheers2

same for me

E-Z

Reaction score
Obviously it's no contest CHILD IN TIME of course even though part of the song was nicked from the US group IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY and there song 'Bombay Calling' but we don't like to shout to loud about that cos DEEP PURPLE from the 1970s were the GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD!!.

STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN is a 'classic rock song' no doubt but ever so slightly overrated and until Jimmy Page & Robert Plant change the writing credit to Randy California, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant then the song leaves a bad taste in my mouth!!.

E-Z

Schmetterling

Reaction score
This is a tough one again. I like both songs very much. Here's some reasoning.....

Blackmores big solo on the Made in Japan version of 'Child in Time' was iconic for me, and coming hard on the heels of the big solo in 'Highway Star' on that same album made the 12 year old little guy who was me at the time think this guy was some kind of Master of the Universe come down to earth to share his skills with us mere mortals. I gotta say however that I'm not so keen on the 'In Rock' version of CIT as Gillans vocal screaming isn't as good as it was on the live version. It just didn't have the same knock you down sort of impact that the Made in Japan version had.

Stairway to Heaven is so bloody good and so completely timeless that it still brings a little tear to the eye on the odd occasions when I still hear it and I have a particularly special memory of that song from a house party one night in the mid 80s when I was jamming it on acoustic guitars with a mate and everyone in the house sang the lyrics right through from start to finish - guitar wise it wasn't particularly well played but the song magic was definitely there...a very fine moment in history for me....:cool:

Having said that however, I also have a clear memory of watching Led Zep perform at the Atlantic Records 25th birthday party celebration in 1988 (think I might have mentioned this before) and Page was either so pissed out of his head or so out of practice guitar wise that he made a complete arse of the solo. He literally couldn't play it. It was so bad and so embarrassing that I was blushing in shame for him and the fool he was making of himself up there on stage but fortunately most people didn't seem to notice. Believe me it was bad though. It might be kicking about on youtube somewhere as it was a big event at the time....?? That was a defining moment for me Led Zep wise and they've never really redeemed themselves in my estimation since then, but I DO love this song very much, so I guess if I was put on the spot and with all other considerations notwithstanding it would be "Stairway to Heaven" for me... Phew....

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.