Celebrating 1967

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
OK. Here is the 10 I would leave off. Actually I made it 11... There may be a few gems I missed here.:phones:

"Get On Up" The Esquires
"The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" The Marvelettes

I love all the tracks that you listed. 1967 was a particularly strong year for soul. But these two are semi-obscure and may qualify as undiscovered gems if you haven't heard them. The first is an infectious dance number that is just impossible to stand still to. The second is a sinuous slow number full of menace. Garcia later covered it IIRC.

Spike

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I love all the tracks that you listed. 1967 was a particularly strong year for soul. But these two are semi-obscure and may qualify as undiscovered gems if you haven't heard them. The first is an infectious dance number that is just impossible to stand still to. The second is a sinuous slow number full of menace. Garcia later covered it IIRC.

Spike

Get on up I recognized right away. The Hunter gets captured I had not heard but The Marvellettes are great and I will have to get some of their music. I was checking out Stevie Wonder when I got sidetracked. I ran across "Elmore James" and I am definately going to have to get into his music. There is definately some great music there.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
So, speaking of "Get On Up" by the Esquires, did any of you ever hear the sequal, "Get On Up and Get Away"? It was almost identical, but that didn't stop it from getting a good deal of airplay.

aerozep

Reaction score
I'm not going to list any songs,they've pretty much all been covered,although I don't think "Him or Me" by Paul Revere & the Raiders came out in '67...I could be wrong and the Rascals were still called the Young Rascals in '67 but I'm just nit-pickin'
It's just GREAT that we're all talking about SGT Pepper & 1967 songs,it feels real good to remember that great time.I was 13 at the time and had my first real girlfriend and just knew I was going to grow up and play guitar like and with Eric Clapton & Jimi Hendrix and was going to hang out with the Yardbirds & the Rolling Stones.:heheh: and don't forget the Mothers of Invention and their debut collection called "Freak Out"

Great thread
Peace:cheers:

Last edited:

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I was 10 years old and thought I was in love with one of my classmates. But what I really remember is how completely "stoned" I was on warm fuzzy feelings induced by all that fantastic music. For me, the music was the ultimate psychedelic, the drug that I constantly craved. And the nice thing was that it was totally harmless.

I wrote a poem a couple of years back about the experience:

I remember that summer
as pure consciousness,
as parking lots full of cars
in front of buildings
all underneath blue/white sky
and it was beautiful
even when it wasn't;
it was beautiful because
of something happening
in my eyes, or was it
in my spirit, or was it
that all of this is one thing,
or an illusion, or a dream,
like that swirling music
that never, ever stopped
in my imagination,
which never tired of playing
those songs over and over,
and over and over and over?

morrison357

Reaction score
So much good music came from '67 that it's hard to believe. Debut of Zappa, Grateful Dead, Sgt. Pepper's, Disraeli Gears, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn, The Doors, Monterey Pop, Hendrix, Janis, Otis Redding, and oh so many more.

One of these days when I have nothing to do I'm just gonna devote the day to nothing but music from 1967. I'll be heaven.

monkeesfan1967

Reaction score
1967 is my favorite year in music. Such a variety, with such new innovations coming out (Moog synthesizer, etc.). My favorite group, The Monkees, did well that year. Most of my other favorite groups were awesome that year too. The Association, The Who, Herman's Hermits, and others really made 1967 a year to remember in music.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
What I liked about 1967 is just how much real quality there was in the radio top 40 hits.

:grinthumb

That's not found today.

:wa:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online