1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can music cause anxiety?

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by Marielle Miguel, Jan 25, 2021.

1. mewmeister

mewmeister Junior Member

It does depend on what music you listen too, to whether it can trigger anxiety. I mean I cannot listen to a lot of pop music or Rap, R&b and stuff that is similar. I tend to not go for a certain genre, but my preference is Rock, but if it sounds good to my ear then it can help me relax. I remember a time in the 80's that I was so heavily(no pun intended) in NWOBHM and Thrash that anything else on the radio which I took homage to would have me smash up the radio, until I came up with a plan, and that was not to listen to the radio cos it was costing me a fortune:):):):):)

Sacrosanct and E-Z like this.
  2. E-Z

E-Z LOVE. Arthur, Jay, Gary, Frank & George 1969-1970

Following on from your post mewmeister I remember when during the 1980s possibly around 1986/87 BBC radio-1 presenter (apparently they didn't like being called DJs?) the late Tommy Vance on his Friday night rock show between 10:00pm-12 midnight virtually stopped playing 'conventional' heavy rock and started playing THRASH METAL and he received a lot of letters from heavy rock fans complaining that Thrash metal was a load of s**t!!.

I must admit I didn't immediately 'appreciate' Thrash but did 'get into it' a bit later during the late 1990s for a couple of years.

Sacrosanct likes this.
  3. OldHippie

OldHippie Resident Yooper

The only music that ever caused anxiety in me was Disco. I cringed just now typing that word

recgord27 likes this.
  4. Aero

Aero Senior Member

Contemporary pop radio gives me anxiety. Just hearing this crap playing in a restaurant makes me feel ill.

5. recgord27

recgord27 Walking down a dusty road

When I play my music loud, it causes my wife anxiety. The neighbours, you know ;)