Bobby Womack

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Bobby Womack
Bobby_Womack.png

bobby-womack.jpg

2012 Landmark
"In a year full of Soul Womack with great wisdom, reinvigorated with a purpose, has effectively created the juggernaut against what all others shall be compared to now and beyond"

The Album
The Bravest man In The Universe
418455035035:300.jpg

From Here to There

samcooke-angelotillery-680x455.jpg

"As a singer grows older, his conception grows a little deeper, because he lives life and he understands what he is trying to say a little more. as a singer grows older, his conception grows a little deeper, because he lives life and he understands what he is trying to say a little more. And I think this gives. If a singer tries to find out what’s happening in life, it gives him a better insight on telling the story of the song he is trying to sing." ~ Sam Cooke"

This passage by Sam Cooke in an interview illuminates everything that can be said about this album and Bobby Womack himself. While Womack's story is amazing in itself it's the path that he's crossed with Sam Cooke that has both lifted him, suffocated him, haunted him and now resurrected him. Womack was performing in a group with his brothers released a single while he was just ten years old. :omg: Not only that, he also sang right behind his brother who was lead. Now this is not the first young success but who can say that at just 16 they were discovered by Sam Cooke himself.

Sam Cooke took the group of brothers under his wing, renamed them The Valentinos and produced their first single in which Bobby had written on. The single was a hit and while their next potential hit single was eclipsed by The Rolling Stones of all people covering it. Still the royalties garnered from the covers success was a suitable replacement for potential envy.

Do%2BIt%2BRight.png

Sam Cookes death weighed very heavy on the not just on the world of Soul but in music in general. To expound on that would take a whole life of it's own. Perhaps, no one was effected in the long run as much as Womack who's decision to console and consequently marry Cooke's widow would leave him haunted by Cooke's enigmatic presence through the vitriol of nearly everyone. After Cooke's death, shot in a hotel room, the brothers fell apart. Bobby tried moving on into the solo ranks but failed to make an impact relegating him to the status of session musician.

Bobby would eventually get a shot at his first album in 1968 and from that point on he's had a steady portfolio of work. He's had varying degrees of success particularly with a three album run starting with 1972's Communication. Still when it comes to the workingman of Souls career, a man who's churned out work through seven decades it seems like a curse that he mostly has become that lost relic. Aside from a period in the 80's of demons in which drugs stunted his output and his last work prior to this album in 94' this artist has been steady and reliable not to mention one of the greatest live artist I've ever heard. Seriously, listen to this album :omg::

0001359328_500.jpg

I'm not sure the year of the show but it's a concert from the archives just released now on c.d. in 2011. The command of Womack and energy of that performance is legendary! :)

So, what an injustice that Womack is but a footnote and will never be used in the same breath as Marvin, Stevie, Cooke, Hathaway, Otis, Withers or The Godfather of Soul himself. Perhaps it's too soon to say never though as this album may be the most profound example of redemption that will ever hit the worlds ears. Like Sam's quote at the beginning, embedded into the track, Dayglo Reflection, Womack understands what he wants to say more than ever.

Dayglo Reflection

Classic Tracks
If You Think You Are Lonely Now, When the Weekend Comes (live) & That's The Way I Feel About Cha

The 2012 Album
The Bravest Man In The Universe
418455035035:300
[/IMG]

The Bravest Man In The Universe

From the opening note of this title track, Womack's voice cracks with a earnestness of a man who finally gets to expel his demons in return for truth. The bravest man according to him is the one who has forgiven first. The whole song is perfect as it masterfully expresses a lifetime of sentiment both lyrically and through it's delivery. Womack isn't just forgiving himself but also letting go of the aftermath of scorn by Cooke's followers. The mood is uplifting as it should be with a slow funk as the song is a revelation from a man who's done condemnation

Deep River

Perhaps the biggest olive branch aside from directly sampling Cooke is a track that while listening you KNOW this artist was mentored by Cooke. This track had it been released decades ago it may have been just as timelessly remembered as "A Change Is Gonna Come". The difference is this song could not have the same effect as the weathered vocals and wisdom is has now. One could easily form a tear in the regret that this is the beauty and grace Cooke could be bringing to the world now but one should be glad that Womack has done so well in carrying the torch that Cooke has passed on in spirit.

Please Forgive My Heart

My favorite track personally is "Please Forgive My Heart". Their's something unique and real about this track that entrances me. The vocals here at their rawest and expose so many layers of Womack's vocals. Each word has a different emphasis and emotion. There's no restraint either as Womack stretches his vocals beyond their limits but the imperfections are glorious. That oooooh at the beginning gives me goosebumps. The scritchy beat against an organ like ambiance that ends with just just a couple acoustic licks is so strange. It works to perfection and that's the genius of it.

The most recent album left such an impression on me I've gone back, bought an album (Communication), listened to some amazing live material and discovered an artist that not only I didn't know but don't know why I didn't know him. Are there any prior fans here? If not what do you think? :cheers2

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
I love all Bobby's stuff ( he played lefty like me!)
He got real sick at the end - I remember he did an unplugged set and did not look his radiant self.
This.. Obvs!
110th.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
Bobby played the Camden Jazz Cafe not long before he passed away in 2014 because someone that I knew at that time told me that he went to the gig in Camden Town (north London) and from memory I think my friend mentioned that he was struggling a bit on stage and I believe my friend even said that Bobby told the gathered crowd at the gig that he hadn't much time longer to live!?!?. o_O

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Wow Rory!!!!
I told you before I went to see Rory live, not long before he passed - he came and sat with us after(I think the one's with foresight knew this was special).... sure enough Mr. Gallagher left us soon after.

E-Z

Reaction score
Wow Rory!!!!
I told you before I went to see Rory live, not long before he passed - he came and sat with us after(I think the one's with foresight knew this was special).... sure enough Mr. Gallagher left us soon after.
Yeah Rory is still sadly missed especially for those that like blues/rock

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Shame this guys only got six or seven posts... he's sadly gone now... but was a major man back in the day... He was in The Valentinos... was with The Manhattans reunion shows, worked with Todd Rundgren, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards.... even pursuaded George Benson to cut Breezin'.
Barry McGuire's California Dreaming.... put him on the solo map.... He had some respect and 3 hits as Womack & Womack... (Elton John covering one)
Love Wars.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online