1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

Discussion in '70's Music' started by LG, Nov 1, 2009.

1. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

36 Years Ago

Spectres

[​IMG]

2. rtbuck

rtbuck Senior Member

I went wayyyyyyyyyyyy back on this thread because I just picked up the cd for a couple of dollars. I haven't listened to this album since the 80's & while it still is a mediocre album I actually like it a bit more than I did in the 80's. I really enjoyed "Shadow Warrior"

3. Speed King

Speed King Rockin to the East & West

Love the Blue Oyster Cult!, my first BOC album was "Some Enchanted Evening" (I still have it) bought it used from Toad Hall Records in Rockford when I was 15. I still remember being totally blown away by Buck's solo on Astronomy. This was what hooked me on the BOC.

4. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^Donald Roeser was always underrated in my view, one of the best of his generation I think. I started with "Agents of Fortune" and went back to the beginning from there, I bought it after hearing "Don't Fear The Reaper" on the radio, then I realized they had edited the song for radio cutting out the solo, never understood why they would do that the full length version is by far the best.

5. Speed King

I remember that cut version,...it was the AM radio version. Most people don't know Buck's real name is Donald Roeser. I read somewhere they all had alias' but Buck's was the only one that stuck. Probably the same place I read about Cully Stout Beer and their original name "Soft White Underbelly".

6. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^I for one am glad they changed it from Soft White Underbelly to BLUE OYSTER CULT!! :heheh:

I never understood the name stuff, but Buck Dharma is a cool name anyway.

7. Speed King

Yeah, Blue Oyster Cult is much better, but a lot of people thought the name had Satanic overtones, never realizing the name came from a beer label.

And Buck Dharma does have a nice ring to it, I kind of wonder what names the others took?

8. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

The first BOC I heard was Buck's Boogie from On Your Feet or On Your Knees, then I bought Agents of Fortune. The latter is still one of my favourite albums.

I have a vague memory of hearing Soft White Underbelly or Stalk Forest on Radio Luxembourg, while under the sheets, but the reception was terrible.

9. Speed King

I really need to get a copy of "On Your Feet or on Your Knees" it's the only early BO-Cult disc I don't own, everyone says it's fantastic.

10. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

^ On Your Feet is definiitely worth getting, especially if you are a fan. I've got all the albums, except the compilations and boxsets.