Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
One of my favorite bands from the 70's, one of the most unique Hard Rock/Metal bands that I know of. Their songs are just so off beat that the only other band I know in a similar vein was Hawkwind, who also incorporated science fiction themes in their works. I never thought BOC got the acclaim they deserved, most people simply know them from "Don't Fear The Reaper", which is a great song, but there is so much more to this group than that. I have been a big fan since I bought Agents of Fortune when it was released, then I backtracked to the earlier albums, I consider myself a hard-core fan of these guys, and can't imagine my music library without them in it.

My Collection of albums.

Blue Oyster Cult (Debut)
Tyranny & Mutation
Secret Treaties
Agents Of Fortune
Spectres
Mirrors
Cultosaurus Erectus
Fire Of Unknown Origin
Club Ninja
Curse Of The Hidden Mirror

On Your Feet, On Your Knees (Live Album)
Extra Terrestrial Live (Live Album)

Their first album.

blue_oyster_cult_1971_first_albu-1.jpg

blue_oyster_cult_1971_first_albu-2.jpg

Youtube is down right now, I'll post some songs off the debut later.

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

It feels good to see this topic finally arising LG. I cannot believe you needed me to push you to the point where you finally open this wonderful topic.

I will definitely help you post the albums in here.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

There was already an old thread, and I was going to get around to it eventually, but seeing you have the classic symbol of the band just inspired me to do it today. I have a lot of other threads to do so it's nice to have another fan in here to keep this one going until we finish their history.

Besides the old thread was Not worthy of a band this good.;)

Reaction score

I have nine of their albums, I don't even know which they are, they were obtained... not leagally.... but Mirrors is my favorite for them, I saw them live two years ago and they put on one hell of a show, no where near the lasers I wanted to see but I suppose they can't really do that at a free out door show haha, but the tunes were very good, guitars screamed madly as well, fun show

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland

My contribution to this topic is for the 1981 album "Fire of Unknown Origin". I have been listening to BOC for a long long time. Although I am only 25 years old I have known this music from ever since I was little.

There were 3 songs that reached the charts. The titlesong, Burnin' For You and Joan Crawford.

Especially the last of the 3 songs is great to me, but more about that later.

First of all something funny. I didn't listen to BOC in a long long time when I was watching one of my favorite TV shows, Supernatural (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural_(TV_series)). These 2 guys hunt for demons and in one of the episodes the episode is all about Blue Oyster Cult. They listen to "Fire of Unknown Origin" in the car and that's when I started to look in my giganic box of music and listen to it again.

Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg

I put 5 songs on now that I think are the best songs of the album. I hope you guys agree.

Sorry LG, for not doing it in the right chronological order... I hope you can forgive me hehe

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I saw them live on the Fire of Unknown Origin tour Eberg, and all the lasers and smoke and effects were on full display, but I am betting that was a little before you were even born.:D

Glad to see a young fan of a Great American band.

No problem SSV, I will do the same for my Favorite album...but not for a day or two.;)

rtbuck

Reaction score

B.O.C. is one of my favorites.I was really intrigued by the Agents of Fortune album Cover & that was the main reason I bought it. I knew "Don't Fear..." & that's why I picked up the album but that cover is so cool as is the whole album.I started buying all there records soon after. The first time I seen them was on the Black & Blue tour in 1980when they opened for Black Sabbath(Shakin' Street with Dictators Ross the Boss opened the show). B.O.C. was amazing & totally blew Sabbath away.B.O.C. was supporting their Cultosaurus Erectus album & Sabbath 'Heaven & Hell'. I seen BOC on the following tour in support of 'Fire of Unknown Origin' & the Tour in support of Club Ninja.All 3 times I seen them back then they were phenominal. I did get to see them back in June & here's a little review I wrote up for the show:
Blue Oyster Cult
Venue: Artpark
Date: 6/16/09
Review by Bucky for Rock n Roll Universe

The outdoor amphitheatre at Artpark in Lewiston, NY was packed with thousands of people to see the veteran rockers from Long Island, NY, Blue Oyster Cult. Gone are the days of the wild stage shows consisting of Lasers, Pyro, & a giant Godzilla that towered over the stage & spewed out smoke & fire but what we did get 30 years later is a kick ass set of Rock & Roll by one of my favorite bands of all-time.

After a cool set of rocking tunes by female blues guitarist Maria Aurijema the huge crowd was warmed up & ready to rock as it was now time for the headliner.
“On your feet or on your knees, please welcome the amazing Blue Oyster Cult!” was yelled out from the side of the stage & the band with a career of evil took the stage & launched into “The Red & the Black” from 1973’s ‘Tyranny & Mutation’ album. Guitarist/Singer Eric Bloom tried feeling the crowd out by asking if they were Mets or Yankee fans. The audience didn’t really react to Bloom so Bloom asked about hockey to which the crowd yelled with approval in support of the Buffalo Sabres. Eric turned the microphone over to Buck Dharma & the band played a rocking version of “Before the Kiss (a Redcap)”. I kept thinking that the long-haired bass player really stood out & looked familiar. During a bass run on the tune from their 1971 debut album Eric Bloom shouted out the name “Rudy”. It then dawned on me it was popular bassist from the hair metal days of the 80’s…Rudy Sarzo. The band then played their big hit from 1981 “Burnin’ for You” which got a big response from the crowd of many generations. “Stone of Love” from 2001 sounded great & was played almost flawless. It is one song that they should always have on their set list even though this is the first tour that it has been played. An extended version of “Shooting Shark” from the ‘The Revolution by Night’ album was up next followed by the popular BOC instrumental from the early days “Buck’s Boogie”. The concert regular staple "Cities on Flame" was followed by “Then Came the Last Days of May” which is a chilling song from their debut which deals with a few college guys who rented a car & drove out west to score some illegal substances to which they met their fate. This song was a major highlight as it jammed for at least 12 minutes with a great guitar exchange between Donald “Buck Dharma” Rosier & Richie Castellano. Bloom stepped up to the microphone & announced that something big was coming our way & the band launched into the crowd favorite “Godzilla” .What made this version spectacular besides the crowd singing along with the chorus was the bass solo by Rudy Sarzo.During the solo Eric Bloom yelled out “You remember when he was in Quiet Riot…” & Rudy the band launched into “Metal Health”. Bloom then said “…& then he got a call from David Coverdale of Whitesnake…” & on cue the band played “Still of the Night”. Finally, Bloom said something about Ozzy saying something to his wife Sharon & the band kicked into “Crazy Train” followed by a drum solo by ex Popa Chubby drummer Jules Randino. Blue Oyster Cult ended the evening with their classic hit from 1976 “Don’t Fear the Reaper” followed by “Hot Rails to Hell” from their ‘Tyranny & Mutation’ album.

Bucky

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Great post Bucky, as usual.

I am glad to see some fans of BOC popping up all over the place now.:D

What's your favorite album?

rtbuck

Reaction score

Close between their debut, & Tyranny, & Secret Treaties.It's too tough...Hell,I really like Cultosaurus Erectus & Agents too & I love those first 3 live albums(On Your Feet,Some Enchanted Evening, & ET Live)!!!

I'm going to go with their Debut!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Secret Treaties for me,,,but those are all good choices you can't go wrong. I'll post Tyranny later today, then My favorite.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.