Biggest Music What Ifs ______

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
My thoughts is that they would have splintered eventually. Plant was forcing his will on the band starting in 1979...refusing to sing "Stairway" as such among other things. Only his childhood friend Bonham would keep him reigned in as long as he could. Would their music still be relevant today? Yes...given the exposure though various outlets I think the four of them with their talents would stay in the spotlight. Their late, great manager Peter Grant knew how to work the media.

What if Mercuy was still alive and how would it helped Queen carry on?

Queen was a hit making machine and I believe with Mercury they would have continued to make hits even today. There was so much variety to Queen songs.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Queen was a hit making machine and I believe with Mercury they would have continued to make hits even today. There was so much variety to Queen songs.

Agreed... Queen played all sorts of styles. Heavy rock, vaudeville, operatic, folk and some funky, soulful compositions [re: Hot Space]

What would Brian Jones be involved if he had not taken that ill-fated swim?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
What if John Rutsey wasn't kicked out of Rush? Would they have lasted more than a few albums?

What if Ozzy had stayed with Black Sabbath? Would they have had the success that Ozzy has?

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
¿What if Syd Barrett hadn't lost his mind completely? There definitely would be no Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall. Syd was a lot crazier so those albums probably wouldn't have gone that way at all.

This is definitely one question that I've been pondering over since I first discovered him. If Syd didn't use LSD to combat his inner demons, it is very possible that he could have used music to exorcise them and create a masterpiece much like what Roger Waters did with The Wall. Syd was also the experimental type so it is possible that Pink Floyd could have branched out from psychedelia into something like Dark Side of the Moon.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Being a fanatic over another particular artist, this thought has crossed my mind...

What if Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band played the Monterrey Pop Festival? Would they have had a bigger impact on the commercial market like the other artists that have performed at the festival? If so, would Trout Mask Replica ever have been recorded?

A little trivia for those that didn't know; Beefheart and his band were, to my understanding, slated to play at the Monterrey Pop Festival. However due to Don wigging out on LSD and leaving the stage halfway through his band's performance at the Mt. Tamalpais Festival, that moment of opportunity fizzled. Hence my questioning over what might have been.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
What if Jim Morrison didn't OD?
What if Elvis didn't OD?
What if The Beatles reformed before Lennon was murdered?

...and my main one. What if John Bonham didn't ingest a reputed 40 rounds of vodka and oj?

I'd hate to see how their music would've been had they gone in the same direction as In Through the Out Door. However, if Jimmy had laid off the coke and taken the reins back, I think they would've pulled it back together. :D

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
What if Blackmore had gotten his way and Rodgers and Lynott joined Mark. III Purple instead of Coverdale and Hughes?

What if Graham Bonnet had stuck around in Rainbow?

What if Peter Green was able to control his demons and kick his drug habit?

What if Zeppelin had soldiered on and replaced Bomham with Cozy Powell?

What if Michael Bolton stuck to melodic hard rock (Albeit I'm probably the only person here who wonders about this:heheh:)?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Some good stuff in here, mostly tragic but that is the nature of history.

Here's the Biggest "What If...." I can think of.

What if the recording industry realized changing from analog to digital would have led to the collapse of their business? Nothing in my experience has impacted music as much as that technological shift. Before that the industry was healthy(The labels anyway) and everything was working very well according to the old business model.

Enter the CD invented by Philips and shared with everyone, and that set the table for the convulsions we have witnessed over the last 15 years or so.

I have little doubt that everyone in the business would get in a time machine and go back to that fateful day and burn down the Philips plant and destroy the research and make a compact between themselves to Never go digital. I know it's a theme I've talked about before, but the reverberations of this massive event have changed the music industry for ever. I do fervently hope that if nothing else musicians get a bigger share of the profits, and keep ownership of the music they create, but time will tell what shape the industry will be in over the next 5 years or so.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Some good stuff in here, mostly tragic but that is the nature of history.

Here's the Biggest "What If...." I can think of.

What if the recording industry realized changing from analog to digital would have led to the collapse of their business? Nothing in my experience has impacted music as much as that technological shift. Before that the industry was healthy(The labels anyway) and everything was working very well according to the old business model.

Enter the CD invented by Philips and shared with everyone, and that set the table for the convulsions we have witnessed over the last 15 years or so.

I have little doubt that everyone in the business would get in a time machine and go back to that fateful day and burn down the Philips plant and destroy the research and make a compact between themselves to Never go digital. I know it's a theme I've talked about before, but the reverberations of this massive event have changed the music industry for ever. I do fervently hope that if nothing else musicians get a bigger share of the profits, and keep ownership of the music they create, but time will tell what shape the industry will be in over the next 5 years or so.

Are you talking about CDs or downloads? If we are talking about the evoulution of Napster and Itunes as well as the numerous downloading and torrent sites out there than I fully agree. At least with CDs bands still understand the care it took to make an album. I feel like downloading has severly wounded the music industry as a whole. Everyone is trying to make singles and get their song on a commercial or t.v. show. Making a great music can't be forced. The best albums usually come together without trying to make singles.
Rock music suffers the least of the genres because there are still bands that believe in the album. Although mainstream rock suffers greatly. Look at the grammy nominess for rock over the last 6 years. Foo Fighters is still one of the highest selling rock bands out there. Which is sad to me because I haven't thought they've done anything special since the 90's

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I feel like downloading has severly wounded the music industry as a whole. Everyone is trying to make singles and get their song on a commercial or t.v. show. Making a great music can't be forced. The best albums usually come together without trying to make singles.

But rock and roll WAS a singles dominated genre for well over a decade before albums took over in importance.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online