Best of the decade

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
annie wrote:

These lists were not compiled from record sales, otherwise they would all be the same. They are subjective picks of the editors. One song (don't remember which one) was not a hit. One list I saw compiled radio play and another four factors, but I didn't post it.

Sounds a bit biased just because the editor heard something and placed it in their favourites. Make me editor and I'd turn popular music on it's head! :D A more accurate depiction would be to collect results from a survey. It would show people from different age groups with different interests would compile something completely different perhaps! :D

I don't care about absolutes for the best of anything but I'd rather see an editors list and a thoughtful blurb on why instead of a popularity poll.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
annie wrote:

I bought it and I absolutely LOVE it :tup:

I've got the album here, so I'll check it out. Was a bit difficult finding the 1st CD!

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Soot and Stars wrote:

Not for me but let's just compromise and say one mans trash is another mans treasure and I'm proud of my treasure! :grinthumb

Yep I guess we could both agree that those lists are rubbish! Though it's about a matter of taste too which defines what we're bound to enjoy! :violin:

Saying one mans trash is another mans treasure does not mean that the lists are rubbish. Exactly the opposite. It reflects that the lists are very different and reflect the authors' personal tastes, just as your list would be different.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I don't care about absolutes for the best of anything but I'd rather see an editors list and a thoughtful blurb on why instead of a popularity poll.

I suggest you go to the link to read the blurbs on song and why the editor chose them.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Saying one mans trash is another mans treasure does not mean that the lists are rubbish. Exactly the opposite. It reflects that the lists are very different and reflect the authors' personal tastes, just as your list would be different.

Sorry Annie! That went over my head! I was being humble about my potential picks! I like most of the stuff on those list! Let's just say that I may like more songs on that list than most people here even if it's not my top ten! I mean who else here would love

:ec:
Jay-Z-99 Problems

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Soot and Stars wrote:

Just on a similar thing I saw yesterday was like on TV where I saw two Musical Guru's hitting on what they thought was the best music of 2009. I thought Glenn A. Baker was a pretty cool guy before yesterday, but that music he was selecting was dreadful, and I have little respect for the other guy cause I brought an album based on his advice and it turned out to be a stinker and only carries on about dribble anyway! :( Anyway I think it was only until they got to the last song - which I cannot even remember the name of or who sang it, all I can say it was the first time I heard it - on the last day of last year and didn't want to mention who it was or what the song was called. So I was a bit disappointed! :(

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
annie wrote:

These lists were not compiled from record sales, otherwise they would all be the same. They are subjective picks of the editors. One song (don't remember which one) was not a hit. One list I saw compiled radio play and another four factors, but I didn't post it.

Sounds a bit biased just because the editor heard something and placed it in their favourites. Make me editor and I'd turn popular music on it's head!

Why are you so cynical? When you are an editor you may do as you please. I am an editor and I have a mind of my own and if I were to compile a list I amd certainly not influenced by anything I hear or read. I make up my own mind. I think that most editors have the same attitude. We are a very independent bunch and do not answer to anyone. Just take the lists at face value and you can agree or disagree, but why question how they made their choices? I only posted them because I had never heard most of the songs and I thought others might be in the same boat. Never too late to learn something new.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
annie wrote:

Yes I'm not personally attacking the songs on those lists - it's an attack on the list themselves. Just as you say that every-one's list would be different and why a list based on public opinion would be the definitive list to end all lists and not one editors opinion! :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Soot and Stars wrote:

Just on a similar thing I saw yesterday was like on TV where I saw two Musical Guru's hitting on what they thought was the best music of 2009. I thought Glenn A. Baker was a pretty cool guy before yesterday, but that music he was selecting was dreadful, and I have little respect for the other guy cause I brought an album based on his advice and it turned out to be a stinker and only carries on about dribble anyway! :( Anyway I think it was only until they got to the last song - which I cannot even remember the name of or who sang it, all I can say it was the first time I heard it - on the last day of last year and didn't want to mention who it was or what the song was called. So I was a bit disappointed! :(

Here's the thing CP/M! A review is only a guide! I don't follow critics taste necessarily! I know what I like more than anyone! I follow their details and route out the elements of what I like from what they are saying! What made it rubbish besides you not liking it. When you say it's rubbish that makes you a critic as well. I think it's best to think that something didn't work for you as opposed to being rubbish. :grinthumb

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Sorry Annie! That went over my head! I was being humble about my potential picks! I like most of the stuff on those list! Let's just say that I may like more songs on that list than most people here even if it's not my top ten! I mean who else here would love

:ec:
Jay-Z-99 Problems

I understood what you meant and that is great. I was just saying that you did not say that the lists are rubbish. Sorry if I got too wordy :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.