battle of the drum gods

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Do you think though, that Moon opened the door for other roles that a drummer could play? He did show that it is possible to have a drummer take more of a forefront role in the band and have other members keep time. It didn't seem like they had a problem, at least onstage, with Moon's antics.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
We're talking about two great rock drummers here. I think in terms of stylistic innovation I'd go with Moon, but in terms of technical mastery I'd go with Bonham. Bonham could play in time signatures and complex rhythmic configurations that I seriously doubt Moon could have even conceived of.

runtfan

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
I love Moon and Bonham...but Peart is the King.

Well, who the king is is a whole different, longer, more complicated discussion.
This is supposed to be just a Moon vs. Bonham comparison - and a relatively easy one at that.

runtfan

Reaction score
Another way of putting it is...if the band I'm in is holding auditions for the drum chair and Moon and Bonham try out, Moon gets some high fives and a polite "thanks for playin'" - Bonham gets the job.

Big Generator

Reaction score
runtfan said:
Well, who the king is is a whole different, longer, more complicated discussion.
This is supposed to be just a Moon vs. Bonham comparison - and a relatively easy one at that.

I disagree. Their Bonham and Moon had totally different styles - so it's a tough comparison to make.

Also - why not have a longer, more complicated discussion? You're not on that other site now....

Big Generator

Reaction score
runtfan said:
Another way of putting it is...if the band I'm in is holding auditions for the drum chair and Moon and Bonham try out, Moon gets some high fives and a polite "thanks for playin'" - Bonham gets the job.

I seriously doubt that. If I was in a band and Keith Moon came to audition I'd feel too inadequate to hire him...

runtfan

Reaction score
Actually, I think that the fact that their styles were so different makes it that much easier to compare them...or rather, "contrast" them, which is what really needs to be done.
As for comparing them, I think that Bonham could do anything Moon did. I don't think Moon had any skills that Bonham didn't have. I'm not sure about the other way around. I say I'm not sure because Moon rarely played with any control so it's hard to judge him conventionally.
I think Moon created alot more anarchy and chaos into the Who's live show, which worked well for the Who onstage, and pretty much played with reckless abandon most of the time.
I think Bonham added power and energy and excitement to Led Zeppelin and could do it while creating a great groove and feel...something that Moon didn't really ever bother trying.
Another oversimplification - Moon was more icing than cake, Bonham was more cake than icing.

As for who the drum "king" would be, I didn't want to hijack the thread for one thing, and my personal list of contenders would be pretty long and I don't feel like mentally sifting through it all right now.
Sounds like a good idea for a thread though ;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online