battle of the drum gods

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
toxichunter2000 said:
I had to ask this question outta curiosity and just to see what your views are. Who is better at drumming overall, John Bonham from led zeppelin or Keith Moon from the who. Explain why if you can, otherwise, just give ur answer, no prob there

IF....... I could magically have the playing ability of a Jimmy Page..... there is no one past or present that I would want more than John Henry Bonham to be backing me up.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I agree with BG in that as drummers, Moon and Bonham had such different styles.
Moon's is more jazzy yet heavy-rock creative...a lot of riding on crash cybals to give it the all the high energy effect.
Bonham was more of a "tighter" drummer, riding on the high-hat a lot, doing great heavy bass drum and snare-work yet doing chaotic parts well like Moon when the song or "jam" part called for it (especially live on stage)ie....riding on the crash cymbals
The real answer for this thread is that Moon was perfectly the right drummer for The Who and Bonham-the same for Zeppelin....you can not interchange them in any way or else their respective bands would sound lousy.

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
I love Moon and Bonham...but Peart is the King.

Go Ahead.... and Crown your King . . . .

But I'll still take Bonham ANYDAY over EVERYONE else to back me up (in my Fantasy Band.....) :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTY, many would agrue that Carl Palmer is every bit as much a King as Peart is . . . . for what that's worth . . .

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
My favorite rock drummer is a guy who ended up in the Hall of Fame…

Back in early Spring of ’72, my Ocean Beach San Diego garage bands were constantly looking for a great drummer.

This gangly kid from Cal Western / U.S. International University in Point Loma (a school for U.S. Government Diplomats’ Offspring) showed up @ my converted bedroom studio, that was completely plastered in Egg Crates, floor to ceiling, & about 5 layers of carpet.

47195884-375f-009600CD-.gif

This guy claimed his Dad was in the C.I.A. in Beirut Lebanon, & his big brother was the Road Manager for Wishbone Ash, back in England. C.I.A.? Wishbone Ash?? England??? Yea, right…whatever, Dude!

We were trying to amass a 50 song set list of the typical rock standards of the day that we needed to play the burgeoning Beach Town saloons that were booming throughout San Diego. You could clear $150 a week per man, back when rents were about $120 for a 2 bedroom apartment, if you could land a steady gig @ clubs like The BathHouse in Mission Beach, Ledbetters by the College, the Cardiff Lodge by Encinitas, & the Pleasure in National City.

We needed the $ & we needed to eat & pay rent, NOW…this was very serious business.

This drummer was MASSIVE. Big foot, dead on timing, great looking natural wood kit with all new cymbals, REALLY talented with his hihat / top end work…but he was LAZY & he just didn’t want to crack down & LEARN the DAMN SONGS!

All he wanted to do was jam endlessly on every Jimi Hendrix song known to mankind, & he had a fixation on reliving the entire WHO “Live @ Leeds” album, for hours on end. I can still hear him, in my mind, playing the drum riffs to Jimi Hendrix’ “Spanish Castle Magic” for the 14th go-around! This drummer was PHENOMENAL…but that wasn’t going to get us the bookings we so desperately needed.

We finally learned enough songs to play a noon-time outdoors gig @ the nearby University…but eventually we had to give this drummer the BOOT! He was too fckn’ LAZY! The split was very amicable, because this kid was very easy going & unstressed (because his parents were footing the bill for his dormitory, his gear, & three meals a day). We cut him loose…we kicked him out of the band…because we needed someone SERIOUS!

47195886-04de-01220136-.gif

About 8 years later, I found myself backstage @ the Hollywood Palladium, where the POLICE were headlining.

51507722-c173-025301B2-.gif

Drummer Stewart Copeland invited me back to the dressing room, where he introduced me to Andy, while Sting was mobbed with reporters & photographers, out in the hallway. As I sheepishly & admiringly shook my old drummer’s hand, I said “Dude, I would have never guessed!”

Stewart graciously answered, “Dude, neither did I!”

47195887-9bd2-01F4015A-.gif

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I enjoyed the more detailed story of that , Pooldude....so Copeland found success and fame with the Police, great ,but you still did the right thing for your band earlier on .
I mean who wanted to listen to a set of only Hendrix and The Who anyways?

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Cool story pooldude. I met Stewart Copeland and company when they were playing smaller venues. College ballrooms and such. A very nice guy I thought. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online