battle of the drum gods

Reaction score
I had to ask this question outta curiosity and just to see what your views are. Who is better at drumming overall, John Bonham from led zeppelin or Keith Moon from the who. Explain why if you can, otherwise, just give ur answer, no prob there

Zombeels

Reaction score
To me Keith Moon is the most interesting drummer ever. He has a style that cannot be duplicated. He never plays the same way. He will sometimes put accents where the vocals are and not just the beats. He has a very sloppy and chaotic style. John Bonham is probably (technically) the better drummer, but I like Moon.

P.S. There are many drummers better than these two.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
For me Bonzo wins easily. I love Keith's work on The Who stuff but it's never given me the power that Bonzo's drumming has and likewise IMHO Bonzo does more to the music. To me the best drummers are John Bonham and Mitch Mitchell.

Peace & love.

cunundrumpw

Reaction score
This is a tough one. I'm going to have to say that I like both John and Keith the same. Both great drummers.

CONCERTBLAST

Reaction score
Both of these drummers are excellent, but I saw Keith Moon in concert and when he plays the drums, he makes it look like child's play! But as for the Best Drummer, I would have to say Carl Palmer ("Emerson, Lake, and Palmer") or Neal Peart ("RUSH").

Nirvanadude

Vinyl Collector
Reaction score
I look to my biggest influences - those being Neil Peart and John Bonham.

Neil Peart being technically brilliant. So incredibly diverse and articulate. Every song he does sounds different. Yet, he still has a "signature" sound.

Bonzo for being able to do things with a kick drum that most drummers can't even do with a snare drum! Nobody sounds like Bonham.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Bonham just had more heart, but Moon was so wildly creative. It's pretty tough but Bonzo was just too consistently incredible. He may have not been as beautifully chaotic as Moon but he roared like a steam engine. I've never seen a drummer drive a song the way Bonzo did.

Rapid Fire

Reaction score
both Bonzo and Moon were awesome with different styles, hard to compare. Here's a few other great drummers:
Ginger Baker
Mike Portnoy
Neil Peart

Baker and Portnoy seem very underrated here on this site. *sad*

runtfan

Reaction score
Between these two it's no contest - Bonham by a mile. Keith Moon had alot of fun moments and was a great showman, but outside of his fills...well, there wasn't really much outside of his fills. He wasn't exceptionally good at any of the basic things drummers are expected to do. He didn't keep time that well and, IMO, didn't establish the "feel" of the songs, like a drummer should be expected to do IMO, enough of the time.
Moon was a good fit for the Who ( onstage anyway )and wouldn't have been a good fit for most other bands, at least playing the style of drumming that he did with the Who.

I used the term "idiot savant of drumming" to describe Moon in a previous discussion on this topic and I stand by it. When you get down to where the rubber meets the road, going from one drum fill to another, accentuated by cymbal crashes, isn't usually gonna cut it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online