Bands Who Rerecorded Or Covered Their Own Songs

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What angers some people is if they buy this stuff thinking it is the original versions.

Sometimes bands who are really long in the tooth will quietly rerecord all of their classic songs for a greatest hits collection on a small label. This means you usually have a band with only one or two original members covering their own songs and if the singer can't quite get it done anymore, well then those versions can get ugly.

Then the label throws it into stores with nary a mention that these songs have been rerecorded.

This pissed me off with the first Jewel c.d Pieces of Me where all three of the singles off that c.d. were rerecorded when released as singles. I had to find the rare single of You Were Meant for Me and the Batman and Robin SNDTRK. for Foolish Games to get the ones that sounded like I heard on the radio. :mad

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
This practice has been done numerous times by various 80's rock and metal groups. Case in point:

-Warrant: Rerecorded their old songs for a greatest hits collection called Greatest and Latest in 1999.

-Dokken: Released a Greatest Hits album a couple years ago on which all of the old songs are rerecorded with the current lineup (which doesn't feature George Lynch)

-Bulletboys: Released a Greatest Hits album in 2001 on which all of the old songs were rerecorded.

-Great White: Released an album called Greatest and Latest around 2002 on which all of the old songs were rerecorded.

-Starship: Rerecorded a bunch of their old songs four or five years ago for a Greatest Hits album with the current lineup, which does not feature Grace Slick. This album has since been repackaged by a bunch of different record labels.

-White Lion: Lead singer Mike Tramp formed a new version of White Lion with no other original members. He proceeded to rerecord a bunch of White Lion songs for a Greatest Hits collection.

-L.A. Guns: Rerecorded their old songs for an album called Greatest Hits and Black Beauties, released in 1999.

-L.A. Guns: Did it again a short time later when they rerecorded an entire studio album called Cocked and Loaded about ten years after it was originally released. They retitled this new version Cocked and Reloaded. To further cloud matters (and the band's catalog), the songs from Cocked and Loaded that were rerecorded for the greatest hits album above were rerecorded a SECOND time for the "new" version of Cocked and Loaded. So this means that there are three versions of several songs from Cocked and Loaded floating around in the L.A. Guns catalog.

-L.A. Guns: It gets better. In 1997/1998, before they started rerecording their songs en masse, the L.A. Guns had a "new" singer who had just joined the band. To help introduce this new singer, they went into the studio to record an ep. For this ep, the band rerecorded their biggest hit, "The Ballad of Jayne", featuring this replacement singer. As a result of L.A. Guns later rerecording their greatest hits in 1999 and rerecording the Cocked and Loaded studio album a year or two later, the band has now recorded four versions of "The Ballad of Jayne" in the studio.

-Twisted Sister: Also rerecorded a studio album. Dee Snider said he was never happy with the production job done on Stay Hungry. So he went back into the studio with Twisted Sister in 2004, rerecorded the entire album and retitled it Still Hungry.

-Exodus: Rerecorded one of their 1980's thrash albums Bonded by Blood two or three years ago. Retitled it Let There Be Blood.

-Quiet Riot: Rerecorded six of their old songs to help fill the back end of a studio album from 1999.

-Skid Row: Rerecorded "I Remember You" with their current lead singer.

-Guns N' Roses: Have two versions of the song "You're Crazy."

-Iron Maiden: Rerecorded "Wrathchild" about ten years ago with Bruce Dickinson on vocals. This was originally a Paul Di'Anno song redone as a bonus track for one of their many greatest hits collections.

-Journey: Rerecorded a song from one of the Steve Augeri albums ("Faith in the Heartland" off of Generations). This was done for their newest studio album with current lead singer Arnel Pineda.

-Accept: Rerecorded a song from the late 80's called Generation Clash which was originally done by replacement singer David Reese, who only appeared on one album with Accept. This rerecording appeared on a 1993 album by Accept on which the original singer had returned to the band.

-Motley Crue: Rerecorded Home Sweet Home in 1991.

-Bret Michaels: Rerecorded an album full of Poison songs as a solo artist.

-Kip Winger: Rerecorded an album full of Winger songs as a solo artist.

-Stephen Pearcy: Rerecorded an album full of Ratt songs as a solo artist.

-Aerosmith: Definitely rerecorded "Walk This Way" in the 80's and possibly rerecorded "Sweet Emotion" in 1991.

-Ugly Kid Joe (possibly): I believe they may have rerecorded songs from their debut ep for their first full length album.

-Ratt (possibly): I believe they also rerecorded songs from their debut ep for their first full album.

-L.A. Guns (possibly): Might have rerecorded the 1991 song "Crystal Eyes" from Hollywood Vampires for their following album Vicious Circle in 1994/1995.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Donovan re-recorded Catch The Wind due to being unable to secure the original tapes of the acoustic version. I tend to prefer the jazzier, later version.

Zombeels

Reaction score
I know there are 3 different versions of Classical Gas by Mason Williams.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Seein' Z posted in here, I remembered a song probably only he and myself will even know.:D

Raino by Chilliwack, the version off Dreams Dreams Dreams, is different than the one off the compilation CD...and I prefer the first one, no videos to compare and DDD was never issued on CD,,,which makes me want to..:wa

:D

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Many early Beatles albums were mixed in mono and stereo versions with variations in both sound and length.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online