Band Breakups That Piss You Off

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
For music fans when you are in the prime of liking a band it's got to sting knowing you can't look forward to their next release. I've had a lot of bands break up to early and even my favorite one break up for years before getting back together in some sense. Anyway, I saw today that my favorite current band who I most anticipated their releases has broken up after six albums. The fact that they seemed to get even better with each release makes it even worse! Anyway, the band is Anberlin and I'm feeling seriously deflated knowing this will be their last year for the foreseeable future! Too many talented bands go to soon! :tongue:

What are your bands that broke up while you were still listening as a huge fan and knocked you back when you found out? :)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Well, I was certainly not in my peak listening period with them at the time but the breakups of R.E.M. and Oasis saddened me a bit. With R.E.M. it was understandable I guess. 2011's Collapse Into Now really did sound like a swan song / last hurrah type record. They went out on a high note. The Oasis breakup was just dumb, just like the constant fighting between the brothers is.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well, I was certainly not in my peak listening period with them at the time but the breakups of R.E.M. and Oasis saddened me a bit. With R.E.M. it was understandable I guess. 2011's Collapse Into Now really did sound like a swan song / last hurrah type record. They went out on a high note. The Oasis breakup was just dumb, just like the constant fighting between the brothers is.

I was a little disappointed that R.E.M. broke up. They never seemed to recover after they peaked with "Automatic For The People". :)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed that R.E.M. broke up. They never seemed to recover after they peaked with "Automatic For The People". :)

I don't know, man. While Automatic is arguably their best album, I really enjoyed the follow-ups in the 90s. Monster was different and interesting for them. New Adventures in Hi Fi was fantastic, filled with quality songs. Even Up, I found quite good compared to the albums that followed in the 2000s. They sort of bounced back with Accelerate and ended it all with Collapse. I suppose one shouldn't be too bugged with it. They have left behind an amazing body of work!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't know, man. While Automatic is arguably their best album, I really enjoyed the follow-ups in the 90s. Monster was different and interesting for them. New Adventures in Hi Fi was fantastic, filled with quality songs. Even Up, I found quite good compared to the albums that followed in the 2000s. They sort of bounced back with Accelerate and ended it all with Collapse. I suppose one shouldn't be too bugged with it. They have left behind an amazing body of work!

Yeah, they did and I did like Monster! It just seemed more like a band finding their footing again after those albums which can make for interesting music! :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There are so many. ELP did not split at their best, but I was still disappointed. However, the main one for me was UK, who were so promising, but John Wetton formed the disappointing Asia, while Eddie Jobson and Terry Bozzio faded into obscurity.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
There are so many. ELP did not split at their best, but I was still disappointed. However, the main one for me was UK, who were so promising, but John Wetton formed the disappointing Asia, while Eddie Jobson and Terry Bozzio faded into obscurity.

Your sentiments of UK are kind of how I feel with my band. I mean their will be further projects. Hell, I like the singers side band. Still, they were perfect as a band and no changes needed to be made! :tongue:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
When did they break up? Did they have a lot of albums? :)
They released two (only two), but bomb-albums, and broke up in 2007. Now there's a band called Heaven's Basement (formed by ex-members of Roadstar), but from the previous group only drummer remained there. :uh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online