Band Breakups That Piss You Off

Fever

Reaction score
I can't think of any band breakup that "pissed me off". Some maybe bothered me or saddened me, but never pissed off.

The fact that some bands stay together when they clearly shouldn't is more annoying than a breakup is.

Why does it annoy you?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Because some bands clearly lose their chemistry along the way, yet continue to trod along for some unknown reason.

Then there's situations with bands like "Guns n' Roses" which isn't GnR at all, but rather it is the Axl Rose Band. Same with "Boston". The Tom Schulz band. Foreigner is another prime example. Mick Jones has been there since the beginning, the rest of the cast has been with the band since 2005 and newer. It's not Foreigner. That doesn't make them a bad band, but they aren't Foreigner. There are plenty of other examples.

When there is only one original member left and the rest of the cast are nothing more than hired hands... yeah, that annoys me.

Philmore

Reaction score
The break up that disappointed me was Jellyfish. They made two great power pop albums and called it quits. And I never got to see them live.

There was talk about them reuniting and that's cool but I would've like to see them continue with the momentum they had back then.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I saw a documentary on The Eagles and got pissed off several times by the remarks of Glen Fry and Don Henley. Earlier in the show they were lamenting that to get Joe Walsh's guitar hey had to suffer through his vocals. I mean how douchy of a bag can you get? To say such a thing on a widely broadcast doc while Joe is still alive. I have a feeling Mr. Walsh had a good laugh over that one but it was such a tasteless jab at the guy. But later on Fry spoke of his disgust with another members politics that seemed to lead to an eventual irreconcilable difference so in short the break up of The Eagles seemed to hinge on two people thinking they were the owners of the band and letting their egos do the talking.
A similar thing happened with Kiss but the difference was Paul and Gene really were the leaders of the band and variously tried to deal with two members who must have been hard to get along with so that is at least a little forgivable.

Khor1255

Reaction score
The one that really broke my heart was Pink Floyd in the '80s. Like a lot of Floyd fans I had turned a blind eye to the fact that Roger had become a megalomaniac. The signs were there on side four of 'The Wall', let alone Roger's not-so-subtle message to the fans with 'The Final Cut'. Over the intervening years I have come to appreciate the great body of work the guys put together over a period of 12-13 years, with the realisation that it was a miracle they lasted that long together.
In this case I think that version of the band had run it's course. There seems to be a point at which some musicians no longer communicate well musically and the band becomes a solo act for one of them. In some cases this works but where I like his work as a member of Floyd his solo work and even the songs he completely dominates at the end of his run with them fall very flat to me.

Fever

Reaction score
Because some bands clearly lose their chemistry along the way, yet continue to trod along for some unknown reason.

Then there's situations with bands like "Guns n' Roses" which isn't GnR at all, but rather it is the Axl Rose Band. Same with "Boston". The Tom Schulz band. Foreigner is another prime example. Mick Jones has been there since the beginning, the rest of the cast has been with the band since 2005 and newer. It's not Foreigner. That doesn't make them a bad band, but they aren't Foreigner. There are plenty of other examples.

When there is only one original member left and the rest of the cast are nothing more than hired hands... yeah, that annoys me.

I saw Foreigner a couple of years ago and Jones was out sick.Joel Hoekstra played with Night Ranger first then filled in for Jones in Foreigner

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guns n Roses is another mess! Without the original band that was behind Appetite and Illusion I & II, they just do not sound the same.

Yep. Confirmed in my eyes with the travesty of an album that was Chinese Democracy.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Personally I like the Wetton years as much as McDonald and the Giles brothers. But apart from a few tunes the albums between In the Wake and Lark's tongues are weak.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online