Bad Religion: The Most Important Punk Band In 30 Years?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh I've seen some pretty bad ones in my day. I remember coming across one forum once where people were talking about their favorite songs by Queen and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious that these kids were severely cracked out on mislabeled MP3's. They thought everything from "More Than A Feeling" to "Dust In The Wind" to "Don't Stop Believing" to "Take It On The Run" to "Mr. Roboto" to even "Stairway To Heaven" were all by Queen. :wtf:

:sm:

Reaction score
Oh I've seen some pretty bad ones in my day. I remember coming across one forum once where people were talking about their favorite songs by Queen and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious that these kids were severely cracked out on mislabeled MP3's. They thought everything from "More Than A Feeling" to "Dust In The Wind" to "Don't Stop Believing" to "Take It On The Run" to "Mr. Roboto" to even "Stairway To Heaven" were all by Queen. :wtf:

:sm:

:lmao:

I know the type.. most of them I've talked to make that mistake with AC/DC.... Damn though.. Queen and AC/DC most be two VERY versatile bands:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well of course. AC/DC is the most versatile band of all time. Duh. :rolleyes:

:heheh:

Anywho, back to Bad Religion, with some particular light shining on frontman Greg Graffin in particular since he's the band's only consistent member through it's 31 year history. Graffin founded Bad Religion when he was only 15 along with some classmates of his. The band gained some attention in the L.A. punk scene, releasing two albums and several EPs. They however disbanded briefly in 1985 only to come back the following year with Graffin at the helm of a brand new lineup. This lineup, often referred to as the "classic" lineup among fans, would record and release the "Suffer" album which has been sighted as a highly influential punk rock album. The "classic" lineup would record two more albums before there was a change or two in the lineup....and thus would kick off a decade of Bad Religion changing their lineup for almost every, if not every single album they released in the 90's. The current lineup has been together since 2001 however and with the completion of their upcoming album "The Dissent of Man" marks the first time in the band's history that they recorded four albums in a row with the same lineup.

Greg Graffin is the mastermind of Bad Religion since he's their singer, lyricist, and primary songwriter. He lyrical style is best identified by the fast paced flow of articular sentence structure and deep vocabulary which often times handle political, religious matters, and socially conscious matters. Vocally he also makes heavy use of harmonies, counterpoints, and one of Bad Religion's most identifiable features, the California flavored "oozin' aahs".
In addition to being a punk rock superstar Graffin has also released a pair of folk based solo albums and earned his Ph.D from Cornell University in New York state. When he's not off being a rock star and recording folk songs he also teaches paleontology and life science at UCLA in winter and fall months.

Quite an interesting fellow really. :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Wouldn't call them the most important punk band in 30 years, but they are important.

Well I don't know that I would either. That's why I added the question mark at the end. It's like that saying things without saying things because everything is in the form of a question strategy that Glen Beck does. :D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Not a fan, however as punk bands go, I can listen to them more easily than nearly every single other punk band in history. As for the question in the topic title, I'd say they are one of the most important punk bands in history, not just the last 30 years. They also have more talent... musically, lyrically, etc than probably any other band in the genre.

Jm2cw.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Not a fan, however as punk bands go, I can listen to them more easily than nearly every single other punk band in history. As for the question in the topic title, I'd say they are one of the most important punk bands in history, not just the last 30 years. They also have more talent... musically, lyrically, etc than probably any other band in the genre.

Jm2cw.

I'd say Dead Kennedys has just as much talent lyrically and musically. Also would throw in Black Flag and Decsendents into the talent pool regarding the musical aspect.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Jm2cw.

I can agree with that quite a bit. They may not be as obvious choices in terms of influence as the big three (The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and The Clash) but I definitely think that if the big three were bumped up to four then I'd include Bad Religion since they were the blueprint for 90's punk in LA in the same was that Van Halen was for 80's rock in LA.

Also I think I'd go as far to rank Greg Graffin as one of my favorite lyricists regardless of the genre. :flirt

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I can agree with that quite a bit. They may not be as obvious choices in terms of influence as the big three (The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and The Clash) but I definitely think that if the big three were bumped up to four then I'd include Bad Religion since they were the blueprint for 90's punk in LA in the same was that Van Halen was for 80's rock in LA.

Also I think I'd go as far to rank Greg Graffin as one of my favorite lyricists regardless of the genre. :flirt

No way in hell would I do that. They had an influence yes, but there were far more important bands than them. Black Flag, The Descendents, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, and the Circle Jerks were much more important in punk terms than Bad Religion.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online